First ideas as a new owner

BooBear

Just got 2012 3010 HD Edition
1. Totally wasted space on left beside door under counter. RV's used a waste can opening in counter for this spot.

2. LUCKILY I asked dealer smgr. about winterizing specifics. Contrary to "winterization" valve, you have to remove convenience center screws plus two more in the pass thru in order to remove a side panel and access the water heater bypass plumbing pictured (but not described) in the manual. The valve only controls sucking antifreeze into the system.

3. I'm using truck bed loading ramps in addition to the ramp because of the steep angle and to protect the ramp edge. Will be trying to store these underneath with some sort of support arrangement.

4. The hydraulic jacks are REALLY sweet as to speed, but now it's mandatory that I level using tire shims. My other RV I could shim up front at the jacks. Rear electric stabilizers are also sweet, but again give me no leveling option. Guess the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. :)

5. Bought two WheelDock systems for our Harleys ($532 delivered inc new straps). Now I have to wait until I empty the fuel tank again, so I can drop it and get access to underneath for anchoring. Used cheaper system before but now I can just step on the release and the bikes stay upright without me holding them. RV's support U-channels got in the way. Had to offset more than I cared to. Still haven't road tested this setup.

6. Almost all the storage requires a step ladder. Guess that's the nature of the beast.

7. Roof ladder is a pain in the b... Also, watch out for how easy it is to bend.

8. We had the dealer (RV Outlet USA) install two directional pucks individually switched on the ends and two recessed pucks in the center with a switch at the end of the couch overhead cabinets. This TREMENDOUSLY improves the couch lighting and appearance (as opposed to that single ceiling fixture).

Our intent is to run two kayaks (14' & 12') through the patio door supported by racks and the couch between the two Harleys. Will report on how well that works. Already see a refrigerator clearance issue. This was a major consideration in our decision to get a RV with patio door.

I intend to add wheel shim storage space underneath between steps and wheel. Also will try to get 12v outlets on each side near wheel wells so I can use portable air pump for the tires. I have an inverter installed in the truck plus the obvious RV 120v sources for an electric impact to use for changing tires. BTW, the inverter powers a battery charger for when the RV batteries are drained (we dry camp a lot). I carry a very heavy floor jack and may be able to find a better solution on one of these forums.

I'll be adding more insulation underneath for the places that were left open. DEFINITELY installed plastic wiring loom to protect the brake wires that were left laying on the springs (begging to short out). Am replacing the antennae since it's gears are stripped out. Seems roof is curved and BR ceiling is flat creating an opportunity for the installer to "tweak" the shaft to make it be flush.

We love the unit.
Many great ideas versus what we had. We drove for miles and hours to see all the different manufacturers and models. The two little windows at the head of the bed and the memory foam mattress were sweet this past weekend at Hunting Island SP, SC.

NOTE: I saw where our 20' awning is being replaced with two 12' awnings on the still latest spec sheets. Also for some reason our 10 gallon water heater is being reduced in size.

jimtoo

HI BooBear,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Sounds like you have pretty well gone over your new Cyclone. As you make changes please keep us updated, you never know when it will help another member.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

BarneyFife

Bought our 370C at RV Outlet as well.

As for the roof ladder. Wait until you rub it up against a pole or something and tear it all up. Then it won't be a pain any more. Mine hasn't been a pain for about a month now. :mad:

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The 20' awning is not going away on most models. We simply just added a rear awning to the side unit on all of the units except the 3010 and the 2812. We did have to take off the 20' (except the 3800) because the slide out was to tall. Cyclone did go to a 10 gal water heater IPO the 12, however it is actually a better water heater, and has a much faster recovery time. The new 10 gal produces 20 gallons of hot water per hour, compared to the 16 gallons per hour that the 12 gallon produced.

BooBear

Appreciate your response. And we went with the 3010 very specifically because of so many public parks with smaller spaces. Larger models were very tempting. Seems no matter how new you buy there's always new ideas coming for delivery next week. Definitely will be adding some sort of light and switch at the door. Climbing inside and feeling for the undercabinet or opening a door and feeling for a switch needs improvement. And talk to Kenny about those cabinet puck lights. They really made an improvement for very little cost. Don't want to sound like the newbie genius. But, it's just like the puck lights, I'll spend for value and convenience. The 3010 HD is not an economy model. I'd love to know how to run the wiring like one forum member wrote (need to return to that post and explore more). He connected ceiling pucks to a switch by the door. Please note my winterzation comment. Not all of us live near service facilities or choose to have others do our work. Your documentation is critical to us. BTW, was surprised the Road Warrior had a pass-thru ceiling panel (insulation) and the Cyclone didn't.

I'm telling you so many things I want to improve or have improved for others. LET ME STRESS HOW HAPPY I am with the unit overall. There are many good ideas and I hope my input will contribute to the benefit of the next owners as I benefited from prior owners.
Tom N