RV'ing Vs. Hotels

mtran868

I was given an MPG so I'm not complaining but I am doing some analysis. I live in Dallas and thinking about taking my family of 3 to San Antonio Sea World for the weekend. If i tow the MPG with my 2008 Highlander, it will cost me about $.15/mile extra for the towing. Which = $86 round trip.

Couldn't I use that money to get a cheap motel room? I know you'll say I could cook my own food to save also but cooking requires work. Towing also has wear and tear on the vehicle. What are your thoughts on the economics of camping and driving vs. motels?

Crumgater

I'd say it depends on how far you're traveling and how long you're staying. If that $86 round trip is spread out over a week, I think a hotel room for $11/night might be one I'd avoid staying in.

It's also more a culture preference. Do you prefer having your own stuff with you, and staying in a campground, being able to sit outside around a campfire in the evenings; or do you like the convenience of the ice machine down the hall?

-T

Sandpirate69

I must agree with Crumgator. It's not about how much wear & tear on you TV, it's about how much fun you are going to have with your family at a campground or on your road trip. Wear & tear you get from driving to work back & forth. I like to enjoy the outdoors, not the noisy neighbors in the next room. I can watch tv in my own rig, not to mention with my SAT. But if it's a quick trip & you're pressed for time, then maybe a motel stay is in order. Just my $0.02. :)

SGeohagan

Made the mistake of driving the car to Huntsville last February instead of hauling the 5er. We stayed in a high dollar Marriott and the first thing I found was a bug on my pillow. Then when I opened the menu in the room, another bug crawled out. Complained to management, but they didn't want to talk to me. Needless to say won't leave home without my BH. At least if I have bugs, they're my bugs.

jpdoggett

I quess it what you want, as I get older there are time when we are going somewhere and its hot out and we are just going to stay the night I just stay at a good hotel and leave in the morning that way I don't have to open it up and wait two hours for the air to cool it down. but if we are staying more than one night we love the RV

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with the other posters. If you don't use the camper very often, why even have one. We've been camping as a family since we got married 42 years ago. I was a Boy Scout and loved the outdoors. During the early years when the kids went with us, we had a blast. We loved the lifestyle so much we were full time for 4 years. Issues with my Mom has changed our situation a bit so we bought a house last year but we still spend 6 months in the south during the winter.
We have tried the cheap motel room during some travels just for the convenience but with a cheap motel comes baggage. And I don't mean your clothes. I won't mention the name but the light they leave on is pretty dim.
Where in San Antonio near Sea World is a cheap motel? Take the MPG and have some fun!

And I really like my own pillow and bed!!!!:p

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have come to the conclusion that I really dislike having to carry all that stuff into a hotel. We are planning on going to the RV show in Tampa in January and thinking about a hotel. But have not made up our mind. It would only be maybe 2 nights and the cost of the truck/ trailer versus the van is enough to pay for it. Really only going to pick up something my dealer owes me. Have not been there since its over 8 hours of driving.

PhotoPete

The hotel we stayed at got really upset with me for building a campfire in the bathtub. We have gone camping ever since!

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Just think after staying all day at Seaworld, fighting the crowds then you grab something at a fast food place to eat, then you are off to the motel room where the kids get on their portable games, and you and the misses watch the boob tube. Now me when I get through fighting the crowd I go back to the rig, fix an adult Coca Cola, start the grill put a burger or some other meat and watch the neighbor kids play with their parents while we sit by the campfire and talk. You chose.

Birchwood

Its gets down to whether you want to stay at a motel or campground.Its completely a personal preference
and the cost will probably be the same because you will adjust to spend what you have budgeted.
Have a nice trip whatever you choose.

pegmikef

. . . yeah and I kind of like knowing that we're the only ones that have been sleeping in our bed and that the sheets and bedding are in fact really clean . . . and we get to write the menu, not depend on some unknown person's tastes. I did my time in hotels and motels all over the world as a soldier and government contractor and just prefer the rv. As others have already said, it depends on your preferences.

Lou_and_Bette

I am going to agree with the others but for a really different reason. After spending 20 years in the military, including tours in 2 different combat zones, dirt and bugs don't bother me but security for both me/family and our stuff does. Having strangers coming in the room when we are not there worries me. Also, even though things are better than when we used to use real keys to gain entry, it is not unheard of in these electronic days for someone to illegally gain entry and that may happen whether you are there or not. I feel safer in the camper because I can, and do, carry protection with me always, and since we make it a point to meet our next door campers feel we have people watching "our backs" so I sleep much better than in a hotel room.

Lou

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We live near Dallas and had planned to take the 5ver for a convention in San Antonio, this past July. Unfortunately, the 5ver was in the shop and not completed in time for us to take it, so we ended up in a hotel. And like others have said, it's personal preference... hauling luggage, unknown sheets, people in your room... I would have rather been in the 5ver. However, better gas milage, walking distance to the convention center and nice restaurants, and no set-up/tear-down in 100 degree weather was nice, too. So it's really personal preference, the money will get spent, one way or another. Think about this: What will you talk about, after the trip? Just the amusement parks? Or the ENTIRE EXPERIENCE?