Insurance Question

2camperz

Hello! We are looking into the cost of insurance for a north trail that we may purchase. The company we use for our vehicles does not offer liability for the trailer when it is parked and not moving but rather only for when it is being towed and hooked up to the truck. I was just wondering if anyone could provide feedback on how important they feel this liability coverage is? We will most likely need to go with another insurance because we want to be covered but I was still looking for any thoughts and opinions on the subject. Thank you :)

GOTTOYS

Why would you need liability coverage on a trailer? In MN. the trailer liability is through the towing vehicle. I would think other States would be the same. I carry collision and comprehensive only through my auto carrier. You can get blanket liability through your homeowners company that will cover it when parked, although I suspect the campground you are at would have coverage for that also. I added my park model liability onto our homeowners when we had it in case someone fell off our deck or whatever. Not a part of our fifth wheel and I don't worry about it...Don

SmokeyBare

In many states, if you own a home and it is insured, the liability insurance will extend to your RV. But if you are full timing and do Not own a home, you have no liability protection that extends to the RV when it is not attached to the tow vehicle. Many Full Timers face this issue. I am guessing that if you rent and do not have rentors insurance and with that rentors insurance the lilability coverage that comes with the policy... you will not be covered for any lilability issues when the Tow vehicle is not attached to the RV. The insurance for the Tow vehicle will only protect the RV when it is attached to the vehicle.

Marv

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're a renter and don't have your own renter's insurance policy, you're playing Russian Roulette using a revolver with 5 bullets in it. I've seen enough apartment building fires where they didn't have it and lost everything. The apartment building's insurance covers the structure, not your stuff.

If you're not full-time, look for a policy that allows you to suspend road hazard coverages while parked or stored, but maintains fire, theft, etc. Look for an agent that knows what a 5th wheel is and doesn't ask what size engine it has.