Towing an "Edge"

Chumbly

We just recently purchased a Edge M21. We just got back from a camping trip that lasted about 10 days and covered about 600kms. I've never pulled a travel trailer before, but have owned both an overhead camper and a motorhome. One thing I noticed was that my pull vehicle, (in this case a KIA Borrago), wants to jerk (for lack of a better term) side to side while towing, especially when being passed by larger vehicles or in a wind... it almost feels the same as when you ride a fast boat down a river, as the current changes the boat has a tendency to want to follow the current, thus a sharp side to side movement, (for those who have experienced it). I don't know if this is normal or if it is a problem with my hitch or something. Otherwise the vehicle seems to be large enough and powerful enough to pull this trailer. Isn't this trailer streamlined to cut through the wind easy? Getting passed today by a semi almost put me into a concrete barrier...Help?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to ask the easy question. Are you using a weight distributing hitch and anti sway equipment? If so, is it set up right? Another concern would be the short wheelbase and weight of your Kia. Is it rated for the weight of the M21? It may have the power to pull it but if it's not rated high enough, you may have issues just like you described.

Chumbly

The Borrego is rated at 7500 lbs., (I believe)...I think the M21 is rated at 3400 empty/4600 loaded, so it should fall well within that range... it is a larger SUV with a V-8 engine. Not sure what the wheel base is. We do have a weight distributing hitch, (again- I think... consisted of a hitch mechanism, and a couple of spring "L" shaped rods hanging from chains attached to the trailer frame at the hitch). I don't believe that is an anti-sway device, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those on this size of trailer especially. I'm not absolutely sure that this hitch is set up the right way, but I've read and followed the supplied instructions as I understand them and the trailer, (while pulling) is fairly level.

Chumbly

And while I'm at it... Anybody know how to replace/turn on/whatever the fridge light and outside amber light on these things?

Zeman

The Borrego is rated at 7500 lbs., (I believe)...I think the M21 is rated at 3400 empty/4600 loaded, so it should fall well within that range... it is a larger SUV with a V-8 engine. Not sure what the wheel base is. We do have a weight distributing hitch, (again- I think... consisted of a hitch mechanism, and a couple of spring "L" shaped rods hanging from chains attached to the trailer frame at the hitch). I don't believe that is an anti-sway device, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those on this size of trailer especially. I'm not absolutely sure that this hitch is set up the right way, but I've read and followed the supplied instructions as I understand them and the trailer, (while pulling) is fairly level.
Your Borrego is more than enough vehicle to pull your M-21. From your description it sounds as if the trailer is swaying............front to rear load distribution, towing speed, and hitch set-up will all effect the way it tows. Is there a lot of gear in the front/back, how fast are you towing, who set the hitch up? Fridge light turns on upon opening door, Amber light?--on fridge or is this an outside marker light? Good luck.

pegmikef

........front to rear load distribution, towing speed, and hitch set-up will all effect the way it tows. Is there a lot of gear in the front/back, how fast are you towing, who set the hitch up?

I found that the tongue weight and weight distribution hitch setup is critical on the Edge. The tongue weight should be around 15 percent of the loaded trailer weight. The height of the ball on the hitch should be adjusted so that it is approximately 1/8th inch above the ball cup on the tongue for each hundred pounds of tongue weight (e.g., 700 pounds of tongue weight equals 7/8ths of an inch above the ball cup). When adjusted correctly, the torsion bars should be parallel to the ground and to the tongue when the trailer is hooked up and the trailer and tow vehicle should be level. I pulled my Edge all over Texas and to Arizona with an F150 4.6L engine and it worked just fine. In fact I was always impressed by how little sway and bounce there was . . . almost none.

camr

Hi Chumbly, we are in a similar situation to you in that we pulled our M22 with an SUV, in our case a Buick Enclave. One of the best investments that we made was the installation of a Reese sway control hitch. We have absolutely no sway whatsoever. I understand that an $800 hitch seems a bit expensive, but when you subtract the cost of a standard non-sway control hitch, and calculate the percentage of the cost of the hitch and trailer, it is minuscule. There are several other great quality sway control hitches available from other manufacturers as well. They are all money well spent.
Cam

RonBB

I've pulled my M18 with three different vehicles with only a friction type sway bar. The first was an 06 Acura MDX. When the friction bar was tightened down I had no sway issues. I could tow without the sway bar but could develop some minor sway from time to time. I never felt it was bad enough to be unsafe. The second vehicle I towed with was a 1 ton 496 ci, Chevy Dually P/U. No way there were any sway issues with that combination. The vehicle I tow with most now is a 2011 Acura MDX. It has the "advance" package which includes electrically controlled shock absorbers & an anti-sway program in the computer. I use the old friction bar from before & have no sway issues. It is interesting that if I tow at equal speeds in all vehicles I get about the same gas mileage. The Acura's drop by about half, the truck doesn't care if it has a trailer or not.

limac

Camr,

I also tow my M17 with a MDX 2011. I use a friction sway bar too. I have no sway issues either. However, neither the trailer nor the SUV are levelled. Do you have this issue too? I am considering buying a weight distributing hitch.

Chumbly

Thanks for the replies. I may have to try the anti-sway bar setup....really didn't want to fork out more cash... didn't think I'd have to with this unit. The trailer seems to be fairly level (now), with the equalizer bars set level as well, but admittedly the SUV is a little low in the back (this stance doesn't appear to change if I tighten up the bars any more)... not bad, but a tad lower. Not sure what the actual hitch weight would be. The trailer seems to be mostly affected by wind, especially if a bus or tractor/trailer unit tries to pass. I usually travel either posted speed limits or 10km/hr. slower. I have the light (outside and fridge) situation figured out now, but gotta tell you my tire situation, on the trailer, (see my earlier post), is still bugging me as well. The dealor originally set up the hitch, but I felt it was set too low, (the trailer travelled unlevel, I felt). I've since been back to the dealor in regard to the wheel problem, and they're stumped as well about it, and offer me no solution or reason for the problem. I'm telling youz, right now I'm feeling pretty frustrated, and not a "real happy camper". Lovin' the trailer...just not hauling it around.

camr

Hi Chumbly,
If the tow vehicle is too low at the back, then the WD bars are not set properly to move the weight from the ball to the front of the vehicle. If the trailer is not level, then the ball height is too low. Both these adjustments will affect each other, so it is a bit of trial and error. I must admit that I am only familiar with the Reese unit. To move weight from the rear of the TV to the front, I must pull up on the WD bars. Try to imagine attaching 3 foot breaker bar to the rear hitch of the TV. If you wanted to raise the rear of the vehicle and lower the front end, you would lift the end of the bar with all your strength, and the rear of the vehicle would lift up, and the front end would drop. This is what the WD bars are doing for you. However, if the bars are set up with enough tension, they may contact the trailer frame. In that case, the ball part of the hitch can be tipped down to allow more room for the ends of the WD bars to be raised. It is not easy to visualize at first. There are some great videos at trailer.com.
Long story short, if the hitch is set up correctly, both units should be level. Possibly the dealer did not set it up correctly.
One more thought about the cost. In my case, a regular hitch was about $400, and the Reese was about $800. Since I was already paying for the regular hitch anyway, the Reese really only cost me an additional $400. Best $400 I ever spent!!!!
Cam

RonBB

Please note my hitch is not a weight distribution hitch. It is a normal insert which goes in the Acura supplied towing package. It does raise the ball a bit. The friction bar device is a Reese unit (not shown) that I bought it cost in the range of $40.00 I don't recall the exact amount. The insert in the photo the ball is mounted on is also a Reese and I think it was around $ 20.00 although It was about 3 years ago and my memory may be incorrect. Best of luck to all.
Chumbly, I do seem to recall that the tongue weight of the M21 is more than the M18.

Last edited:
I just read a bunch of reviews on that KIA, and it gets good reviews for handling and power for sure. Nice long wheel base for a SUV. Strange; does the back-end squat down when towing? Our X5 has a shorter wheel base and tows like a freight train w/o any drama alongside semis.

Chumly,
Just to put in my two cents worth, I too have a M21 that I tow with a 2006 Lexus GX470 with an Equalizer
brand weight distributing/ anti-sway hitch and have no problems, I can cruise at 65-70 on the interstate and can't even tell when a semi goes by. The anti-sway is the key as far as I'm concerned. Be safe and enjoy your M21.

hlandnikki

We are picking up our first Heartland Edge M18 on Thursday. We traded in our pop up for it. Excited but I'm curious and scared to see how our grand jeep cherokee will do towing it.

jimtoo

Hi hlandnikki,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think you would be OK, but some other family members that have and Edge will jump in soon and give their opinion.

Enjoy the forum and your Edge.

Jim M

PeternLiane

We are picking up our first Heartland Edge M18 on Thursday. We traded in our pop up for it. Excited but I'm curious and scared to see how our grand jeep cherokee will do towing it.

You'll do great. My brother pulls his Trailer with his Jeep Liberty. He hasn't had a problem at all. Just make sure that you have a Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway control. Don't let anybody tell you that you can pull one with the WD hitch and Sway control. Only an Idiot pulls a tongue pull trailer without these.