Why Not Plastic?

DW_Gray

Although I'm a Cyclone owner, this could apply to all models.

While washing my smart car recently, the thought occurred to me, why not plastic siding instead of fiberglass? Just about all the exterior of a smart car is replaceable durable high gloss plastic. I'm sure the plastic is much lighter than fiberglass. Plastic is recyclable. The potential of using the lighter plastic would allow for increased cargo weight. On the other hand, the lighter RV may increase the fuel mileage on the tow vehicle.

Heartland, isn't it time think out of the box?

(I noticed there is no general area for "Ask the Factory.")

Speedy

The problem with that idea is the fiberglass on the trailers is structural where as the plastic panels on your Smart Car are for looks and aero effects. FRP is very strong and lightweight compared to other materials also taking cost into account.

DW_Gray

The problem with that idea is the fiberglass on the trailers is structural where as the plastic panels on your Smart Car are for looks and aero effects. FRP is very strong and lightweight compared to other materials also taking cost into account.

You may be right about structural. From what I observed at the factory tour last June, it didn't appear to be structural at all. The Cyclone sides are full length prefab fiberglass and is attached somehow to the completed framework.