ATF: Landmark - RainX on shower doors/shower enclosure

Teeceelou

Is it ok to put RainX on the LM Key Largo shower doors? How about the shower enclosure? Thank you so much for the info!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm shopping for a Key Largo. May I ask why you need RainX on the door?.
If I had to guess it would be a way to prevent water spotting. It seems like it may be a good idea. We currently have a routine where we squeegee the enclosure glass and shower walls. I also wipe down the metal frame of the enclosure after every shower. I guess it may seem extreme but our shower looks like new after 5 years.

wingfoot

Rain X is a great product. I use it on all of my TV glass (outside). You can apply it on you windshield, buff it off and literally not even use your wipers. You have to be driving(legal speeds) so the rain will actually "blow" off the windshield...good stuff. Never used it on my RV shower but I have on the home shower...doesn't work as well as on my TV...guess it's because of the soap.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We never use any chemical or other substances on our shower. We take the towel we dried off with and completely wipe down the entire inside of the shower after we finish drying off. Never have any spots or mildew on the shower. It looks as good as new.

BC

hoefler

Yes you can. Any good automotive wax on the walls and door will keep soap scum from sticking and aid in keeping the whole unit cleaner. Have been doing it for years in the house. Sinks, bathroom counters, tubs, showers, shower doors, stove top, toilet bowls, bathroom mirrors, etc.. DO NOT do the floor!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While the RainX will not hurt the surfaces, it needs to be reapplied periodically, which is a bit of work. It is nice on the windshield, though. We use silicone rubber squeegees at home and in the rig to wipe down the surfaces after showering. Quick and easy, and does a fine job.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We are basically weekend campers so it is easy for me to simply clean the shower with GelGloss after each trip. Might be a bit of a job if you are full-time. Still looks brand new and shiny! Works well on the kitchen and bathroom counters too.

Ray LeTourneau

We are basically weekend campers so it is easy for me to simply clean the shower with GelGloss after each trip. Might be a bit of a job if you are full-time. Still looks brand new and shiny! Works well on the kitchen and bathroom counters too.
Not to change the subject, but I wonder how that stuff would work on the front & rear caps??? Is it available in home centers?

wingfoot

Ray, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Rileys should have it...I think I have seen it at Wally World. On the front caps...I dunno. You would have to look at the ingredients. I think it does contain alcohol.

View attachment Rain X.pdf

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Not to change the subject, but I wonder how that stuff would work on the front & rear caps??? Is it available in home centers?

You can find GelGloss at most stores from Lowes, WalMart & True Value etc. I also use it to clean the chrome on my bike. It does contain petroleum distillates but it is designed for use on fiberglass. Used it on our spa too with good results.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I bought some Rain-X. Been using a squeegee and it works good....BUT...there aint enough room for me and a squeegee in the shower at the same time anymore.

I apply baby oil to a paper towel and apply it to all the interior shower glass... not the fiberglass. It works great. No scum sticks to it, it is cheap and non-chemical. We use a shower spray daily and clean with clorox bathroom spray weekly. No squeegy or towels necessary.

Ray LeTourneau

Well I bought a spray can of Gel Gloss to try on the front & rear caps. I don't feel it works any better on fiberglass than any other automotive or marine product. It actually was harder to work with as well. In addition, I dropped the can while I was up on the ladder and broke the spray nozzle;) and ended up with a pile of foam on the ground.:cool:

I found Meguires Quik Wax to provide an equal finish with less effort.