Window lubricant

lizzymit

Any recommendations on a product to help windows slide up/down or sideways?

Ours are extremely tough to move.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Window lubricant

I would try 303 protectant in the window channels OR a silicone spray. Not WD40 type.

Last edited:

aatauses

I have used silicone put on with a small rag. Here is something we found on one window. The latch was actully dragging on the window when we went to open, creating additional drag. We now pull the latches out as we slide the window open.
al

Pizzaguy

There was a post on an earlier thread on this that said screws in window frame were too tight. I went thru our window frames checking, loosening, ( and tightening a few) screws and the windows have worked great ever since. No need for lubricant. I believe the temperature change has alot to do with the expansion/contraction between the walls and window frames at different rates.

wdk450

My rear window screeches like fingernails on a blackboard. Good thing I don't use it too often!!

Bobby A

My rear window has been hard to open/close ever since the unit was new, and its been serviced 3 or 4 times, its still hard as h--- to open/close. I wish I could get it fixed right, so I can utilize it more often.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

A "dry silicone" spray might help. I like the screw idea....need to check that fix also.

chris4905

Lizzy,

The pizzaguy is right on in his recommendation. I was the one who "posted the original fix".

Prior to my Bighorn, I built a motorhome out of a greyhound type bus. Part of the bus conversion process was the installation of the new windows.

The windows come in two pieces, one being placed on the outside skin and the other placed on the inside portion of the skin. The window assembly is then tightened together by tightening the screws around the edge of the inside half. If these screws are tightened too much, the window will bind, maybe to the point you can't move the window.

Loosen all the screws around the window, tighten them until they just touch the window frame, then a little at a time tighten the screws until they bind the window, then loosen all screws 1/2 turn.

It should not be necessary to put any type of lube on the window.

What amazes, no forget the amazed part, me is these windows pass both the factory QA process and also the Dealers' acceptance inspection.

Good luck,
Chris

1231ChaseB

Mine weren't jammed between inside and outside but from bottom to top ! I put a thin piece of wood on the bottom of channel and gave it a couple hit's with a hammer and now it work's great ! You could tell looking at the bottom of the channel that it was dragging !
chaseb

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Since there hasn't been any Heartland response and all of the replies seem to be good advice, I've moved this into the "general" area of the forum.
Thanks everyone!