MPG Vs. RPod

mtran868

I looked at the Rpod's and they seem more expensive than the MPG's. I couldn't figure out why. I read the the MPG's are not being made anymore. But it seems the Rpod's are still going strong. Does anyone know why there's a price difference and why rpod's are still going strong yet MPG's are dead?

marc515

We were on the fence with the Rpod and MPG and a pre-owned MPG came up first.

Having said that, we feel the MPG-Platnum offers a better package than the Rpod.

MPG Platnum enhancements:
Already lifted, VS needing to buy a lift kit for the Rpod
15" wheels VS 14"
2-5/16 hitch VS 2" Not sure if the frame is heavier
Two propane tanks VS single
Black water tank flush

Other than the above they are basically the same I think.

We didn't really see a noticable difference in price.

We liked the MPG better.

kb0zke

The main reason we bought our mpg was that we were interested in a Bighorn for a FT rig in a few years, and thought that buying a Heartland product now might get us a bit more at trade-in time. We had seen an rPod prior to buying our mpg, but didn't really pay much attention to it then because at that time we weren't really looking for anything. Since buying our mpg we've looked at several rPods at shows, and the thing that always stand out for us is that none of the rPods we've seen had microwaves in them. None! Now, maybe the dealer slides them in (there is a space for one) at the time of sale, but why wouldn't he put one in when he takes the trailer to a show?

Yes, Mike Creech posted elsewhere that Heartland has shut down mpg production "for now." I take that to mean that they feel that there are enough units out on dealers' lots to handle the demand for at least a few months, or that they needed the production capacity for another trailer. I suppose it is also possible that since the mpg is a low-priced trailer, there isn't as much profit in one, and they are concentrating their efforts on the higher profit rigs. Since the mpg isn't built in the same plant as the Landmark, Bighorn, or Big Country, though, that doesn't seem as likely. The reasons for the mpg shut-down are just my speculation.