Generator-A/C question

captpfd

Wasn't sure where to post this so here we go. Recently purchased an 2008 Razor 3110DS toyhauler. Has Onan 5500 generator with only 52 hours. Starts and runs great. Went to turn on my 15 BTU A/c and it only clicks but doesn't come on. Every other appliance does work with the genny. Use 50 amp cord outside and A/c blows nice and cold. Why does A/C not work with generator? LR.

pegmikef

I've got the Honda pair (4 kw) and they run my 15 k btu a/c just find. When I turn on the a/c there is a click then silence for a few seconds while the starting capacitor charges up and then the a/c starts. I would think your 5.5 kw generator would run it just fine. I don't know much about Onan, but some generators have an economy mode. If yours does make sure that mode is off when trying to start the a/c. Mine won't start in that mode so I switch it to economy after the a/c has started.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked what the output is from the genny? If it does not put out enough voltage it will not start the AC.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

wingfoot

Wasn't sure where to post this so here we go. Recently purchased an 2008 Razor 3110DS toyhauler. Has Onan 5500 generator with only 52 hours. Starts and runs great. Went to turn on my 15 BTU A/c and it only clicks but doesn't come on. Every other appliance does work with the genny. Use 50 amp cord outside and A/c blows nice and cold. Why does A/C not work with generator? LR.

Check your breakers. In the picture below you will see a breaker box. You will have breakers for 30 and 20 AMP. Make sure both are switched on..

Click on the image to enlarge.
Hope this helps.

View attachment Interior of 5500.pdf

captpfd

Thanks Wingfoot. It was the lower breaker on the generator. Now I'm curious as to why it tripped in the first place. Runs fine for now. LR.

wingfoot

Thanks Wingfoot. It was the lower breaker on the generator. Now I'm curious as to why it tripped in the first place. Runs fine for now. LR.

Are you sure it tripped..or was it just not turned on...I'm sure you know how to tell a "tripped" breaker..if not, it will feel spongy..Like it's half on/off.