Outdoor Speakers

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
With the high quality of, and amenities offered on the Bighorn series, it would be nice to have built in speakers in the garage/basement trunk that can be accessed by remote to the DVD/radio built into the interior.

Westwind

Curious - do you mean in addition to the outside speakers, I have a 2012 and the outside speakers are located above the compartment door and are connected to the interior DVD/radio.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
That would be great, I wish I had outside speakers. Then when I put the TV outside or just want to listen to the radio.. I have been checking for a place to put them, and hooking them up.
new 5th wheel RV 001.jpg

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have outside speakers on ours. Located just above the basement door on the doorside. They are speaker set #3 on my tuner/dvd player. We use them all the time listening to the radio while sitting outside.

Westwind

Really surprised that you don't have outside speakers on your 2011 Heartland BigHorn 3585RL. I thought that was a standard on just about every
Heartland RV these days. I didn't have them on our old TT and it will be a treat to listen to the radio or music outside, I promise it will be quietly
so as to not entertain the whole campground with my choice in music. I've been in some campgrounds were people had them blasting.

caissiel

We seldom use the outside speakers because they don't sound good, and so far everytime I went to use them they were scratchy. I replaced them and they got damaged after a long trip.
If I was going to install speakers outside I would try higher quality or place them in an access panel.
Our previous trailer had a set that lasted over 15 years and was used very often but we had to open a panel door to expose the speakers, and they were same units as the bedroom that realy sound great. Ordinary car speekers would be best as they are design for all temperatures and high end sound. I think there is a system with a radio available and an additional arial is required. I would prefer the panel with only speakers.

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
Just checking in since I started this discussion. For some of you, no we do not have outdoor speakers on our 2011 Bighorn 3610RE (maybe it was an add-on). Neither outside above the door, nor in the lower compartment. We purchase an inexpensive CD/radio with detachable speakers and are using it for listening outdoors. Another request is that the unit came with a TV arm mount in the lower compartment and I would like to mount a TV there, but where can I buy the arm with the factory slide-over mount? Have checked SAM's, but they have different hook-up mount. Any suggestions are welcome and thanks for chiming in on the speaker discussion.

ihsolutions

Sometime during 2011 the Bighorns completely changed their stereo/dvd systems. Mine (built in March 2011) has the Samsung 110v AC all-in-one receiver, dvd player,etc and is about the size and shape of a normal household DVD player. It has additional iPod, aux, and optical inputs. There are the 5 speakers in the living room and a subwoofer behind the fireplace.

The newer units have the 12v car stereo type units that are integrated into the cabinet. These models seem to have the outdoor speakers (mine does not). I am curious as to the sound quality of these newer 12v units. On previous SOB trailers in the past that had these, they sounded terrible compared to the unit I have in mine. If that's the tradeoff to get the outdoor speakers, I can live without them.

funntheson

We have a late year 2011 model. Our rig was manufactured in December of 2010. They made several changes right around that time, and one of them was the addition of outside speakers. We don't use them that much, but they are nice to have.

rick_debbie_gallant

Just wondering how a set of wireless speakers would work outside a fifth wheel. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. When I get a few bucks ahead I might have to try it.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Just wondering how a set of wireless speakers would work outside a fifth wheel. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. When I get a few bucks ahead I might have to try it.

My set on the surround sound system in the house are wireless via Blu-Tooth tech like on a phone. I'd have to dig the book out but it has a very limited range between speakers and tuner. I would check that before spending the money. Also, ask about being able to transmit thru the walls.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
You know we just came in to the house, been out getting the trailer ready. When we bought the trailer in March one of the outside speakers was sounding bad, vibration noise, so I had it fixed under warranty. Now the one that was not replaced is doing the same thing. I will be replacing them with better speakers. Jensen is not know for good speakers anyway.

caissiel

Did you travel with the unit, I have determined that the speakers on the outside wall is a great idea but at 60 miles an hr against the wind is much faster then any boat will travel, so they don't last, I am looking at placing some that will be protected while traveling

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Did you travel with the unit, I have determined that the speakers on the outside wall is a great idea but at 60 miles an hr against the wind is much faster then any boat will travel, so they don't last, I am looking at placing some that will be protected while traveling

Yes and I'm thinking the same thing. I don't think they are neoprene either. True outside/all weather speakers are. Was just told that about 5 minutes ago. My little brother is knowledgeable in that area.

Westwind

Has anyone figured out what product they are going to use to replace the outside speakers? There are alot of outdoor speakers but I wonder what ones would be suitable for the exterior of an RV.

Miller0758

I just found that one of ours is blown as well. I plan to pick up a set of marine speakers at West marine and give them a shot. They have held up well to the salt conditions on the boat. That will be a Spring project and perhaps Santa will put a set under the tree.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone figured out what product they are going to use to replace the outside speakers? There are alot of outdoor speakers but I wonder what ones would be suitable for the exterior of an RV.

One of my Jensens is shot already also. Barely used it. I figured the replacement wasn't going to last either. I think the Jensens run about $12 each.
So I bought some Kenwood KFC 1633 MRW marine speakers at Bass Pro Shops. The are 6 1/2" instead of the factory 5 1/4", so I am going to have to enlarge the cut out. Just need to find my Dremel tool.
I heard them in the store and they sounded 200% better than the Jensens. Also they are about half the cost of the decent one's at West Marine. Trace

Attachments

• KFC1633MRW.jpg
    KFC1633MRW.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 15

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Most are opting for a higher-end speaker but our stock ones seem to do OK for us. The blown one was actually my fault when I tried to clean some debis fron inside the grill. I purchased a new replcement at Jensen RV Direct for $12.00 and free shipping. If you don't already know this, the speakers are 5 1/4 inch...sometimes not easy to find.

caissiel

Looks like exact replacement.
Let us know of any problems if it does happen.
Well done thanks for your info.