Thinking of buying a new 3655RD

iefpro01

I am comparing the BH 3655RD with other models that have the priate front living. Interested in anyone who has one of these units and what do they think about them.

iefpro01

Update to the idea of buying the Big Horn

The dealer played a small bait and switch on me, they probably will deny it, but it is the way I feel. The salesmen told me the price with my trade-in was 36K. After I negotiated a factory warranty (supposed to be thrown in) and I was ready to close the deal the price went of nearly 4K to 40K!
I offered the original quote and they said no thanks! I mean they dropped me like a hot rock! Heartland n not making the 3655RD anymore, so there are not many on the market, and I think they think they can get what they want from the sale. Oh well - with this update no longer going to be a Big Horn owner!
BTW I was working with exploreusa in Denton Texas. In fairness to them - they said the first quote did not include prep, taxes, title and so on. Why the heck would they give me a price with my trade-in and not give me the out the door price. This is something I hate, because I talk myself into a certain cost level (that really was 6K over what I wanted to spend) and WHAM they hit me with a surprise 4K! I know many of you probably say 4k! Get over it! But 4K to me is a lot of money, and it is a 11% increase in price. Now think about the extra loan costs - say a 7.25% loan over 180 months - the payment would increase $37 a month and in the end cost me $6574 which comes out to be an 18% increase in the price in the end!
I will say this, I was really pleased with the factory rep - and I am disappointed that I will not be doing the deal after he threw in the 7 year factory warranty. That took care of all of my concerns about QC that has been plaguing them. But Heartland now only has the private rear living room in the Landmark now - and I definitely am not going to pay that much for a trailer I use about 10 - 30 days a year.
So with all that said - looks like I will be a Hitchhiker II or wilderness Advantage A6 owner instead. I am working with a salesmen on both of them now that will get me what I want in options and is actually less than the Big Horn. They both have many-many upgrades that were not on the Big Horn. Two AC's, fireplace, Electric stabilizers, 12 CU side-by-side refer, Slide out awnings, Leather sofa and chairs, and some other things that are minor or similar to the Big Horn. Thanks for letting me read and post, while I was researching. I may check back now and then to see how things are going.
Carl G. Shea, PMP <><
E-mail: carl.shea@enternetnow.com

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
We have had ours for almost two years now and love the floorplan. However, Heartland apparently no longer makes this floorplan so you may be looking at a 2006 or 2007 model - keep this in mind for dealer pricing purposes.

We have a fireplace in ours and the queen-size hide-a-bed which is reasonably comfortable. My wife's sister and her husband spent three weeks with us touring the Florida coasts and the privacy offered with the private den was good.

Wish they still made that floorplan. Might consider upgrading ours to a 2008 with all of the improvements that Heartland makes if it was still available.

v92c

Texan
Too bad that sounds like a very good deal. We love our 3655RD. It is the perfect floorplan for us. We have a teenager, who likes to sleep later than we do. We didnt want a bunkhouse, since she is a teenager she will be off to college soon. This way when she goes we will still have a camper that is suitable for our lifestyle.

jimtoo

iefpro01,
As an ex owner of an Wilderness Advantage AX6, please don't even think if comparing the unit to a Bighorn. I traded in a AX6 because it was falling apart and it was only 18 months old. The quality of construction and materials does not even come close to the Bighorn.
Jim

ChopperBill

The factory rep threw in a 7 year FACTORY warranty? :confused: Who did you talk to about that? I am guessing that extra warranty was not a factory warranty but one of those extended insurance warranties. When the say free I all would guess there was a couple of grand or so built into their price.

nhunter

I was quoted @ $2300cdn for the 7 year extended warranty and it is from an aftermarket place like Chopper Bill said.

iefpro01

Thanks

I appreciate all of the information you 'all gave me. I agree that I really liked the Big Horn, as did my wife. Unfortunately we have a thing in regards to honor, honesty, integrity and principle. And yes I agree on the "thrown in" warranty. It is the probable cause of the increase in price. That is why I am not going to buy the unit. If they had been true to their word and took the original 36K + trade-in offer (drive out price), I would be a new owner of a Big Horn right now.
The only thing I would consider upgrading it with is a fireplace. So it was perfect - but I am tired of people doing these bait and switch things, even if small (if you consider 4K small) LOL.
I guess the reason I am condering the wolderness is that I only use the trailer about 10-30 days per year. I have a 4 year old TT that has less than 5K on it! So I don’t need the fulltimer quality, althoough it would be nice... Even the Big Horn guy admitted that the Wilderness would last me 10-15 years if that was what I wanted.

ChopperBill

You might look at a Sundance. Pretty nice units and you should be able to buy one out right for a lot less than the 36 grand original deal. Trading a unit at the dealer is a pretty good way of getting taken to the cleaners. Sell yours and walk off with some cash in your pocket.

iefpro01

ChopperBill - good point - only problem is my wife liked the "private rear living room" model. Sundance does not offer that floor plan, and the Big Horn is not going to have it in 2008.

So now I am searching other brands to find the same type of trailer. Or maybe another dealer who will give it to me for the original price.

Tom of Ypsi

jefpro01,

Why not contact Heartland and see if they can track down what you are looking for. I would think they would know where each model is shipped and when it is sold. Worth a shot.

Pulltab

He is right I believe about dealers holding the price on out of date models that are popular. We bought a 2925 because we wanted a rear kitchen. I got the dealer to deal some but not as much as I would have liked. I did not have the factory do a search but on Google I only found 2 others available on lots and 3 days later they were gone. Obviously we are satisfied with our deal or we would not have made it but more would have been great as I am sure the dealer thought the same! :)

iefpro01

Good Points. I have put out some feelers. Seems weird that a model is popular - yet they stop building them... Not like cars I guess - whre they have to deep discount out of date models.

iefpro01

Update - one of the members got me in contact with another dealer. They came close on the price - but they were about 350 miles from where we live. We were considering it, but decided we did not want to have our dealer so far away in-case of warranty issues. I know that we could take it to any dealer - but it is always better to deal with the one you purchased from in my mind.
Well not 30 minutes after I told the other dealer that we decided not to go forward, the original dealer (10 miles from my house) contacted me and they came back pretty close to the original quoted price. I got it in writing and now I am just a week or so away from have the trailer (it has to be shipped from another city).
So Pretty soon you 'all will see me cruising in my brand new 2007 Big Horn 3655RD! LOL - next a few upgrades to my FORD 7.3 PSD. Then this fall the big 3+ week trip with a family member who also has an RV. I would like to thank everyone for their comments and help. You will see me in other areas of the forum in the future! LOOK out - I ask a lot of questions! Maybe I will know and answer or two after a while - LOL.