Making my home "Homey"!

twohappycampers

Hello there! I'm really striving to make our fifth wheel as "homey" as possible on the inside - we don't vacation in it, we live in it full-time. Anything that makes it scream RV, I would like to change if possible. I know I'm not the only one here of the same mindset. We chose this model because it already felt so homey to us, with the wood blinds and curtains, the wide stairs up to the bedroom, the wood floors, the mocha cabinets and L-shaped kitchen that sets it apart from the living area.

We removed the existing furniture and bought a new residential-type sofa bed in dark brown and two tan leather recliners. And removed the wallpaper border (as I'm sure everyone knows by now :eek:)

I'm on a quest to replace the curtains - just looking for ones I like. The side panels will be easy enough to do, just a gathered panel - it's the piece that runs along the top that has me a little stumped. Maybe just leave it and look for panels that would coordinate with it?

So, what really screams RV to me is the ceiling lights, but I think I'll probably have to learn to like them or learn to ignore them. I'm sure I'll really like them during a power outage this winter. :D

Another thing is the door. Some ideas on how to disguise it but still have it easy to use would sure be appreciated.

So, if anyone wants to share some of their ideas I'd love to hear from you. Take Good Care - Lorna

PS How about the bedroom mirror doors? I've seen some that were divided into squares with wood trim - not a good description but they sure looked sharp! Could something like that be done? Or other ideas?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Lorna,

Click HERE to check out what Karen did to her closet doors!

Good luck on your transformation from RV to Home!

Jimmy

Just remember you can replace any 12 volt light fixture with any 110 volt lamp or light or fixture, just make sure you get the 12 volt screw in bulbs that look like a regular light bulb. Good luck...

twohappycampers

Thanks! Checked out the website and WOW! :cool: What a statement I could make in the bedroom with one of those designs :) A great idea! Could also be used to customize the glass inserts in the overhead cabinets in the livingroom. And decorate the front door mirror. Oh, and, disguise the big tv (OK, now I'm just kidding!)

twohappycampers

Lorna,

Click HERE to check out what Karen did to her closet doors!

Good luck on your transformation from RV to Home!

In checking out Karen's website, I noticed that they sell total blackout film. I know some of you have been looking to block out the light coming in from the bedroom windows. And it's supposedly easily removable and reapplied.

ParkIt

After removing the heavy mattress and too small sofa, we are having a custom cabinet maker that did the same to our friends HL to ours - wood doors! They had quite a bit of work done without adding much weight and nominal cost, theirs is an 07' (I think, might be an 08') so it didn't have as many cabinets as the current ones do. The also had fold down table tops with book/magazine holders under on either side of the rear recliners - a great storage and useful modification to do. We are debating on doing the same, it would be nice to flip up a solid wood table top, pull out a book or laptop and not take up a bunch of space doing it.