Clothes Rod

Bob Vaughn

If you bought a stick built house and hung your clothes in a walk in closet and the rod broke and dumped all your clothes in the floor would you expect the builder to ask if you lived in your home all week or just on the weekend? I did not think so either.......:cool:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you bought a stick built house and hung your clothes in a walk in closet and the rod broke and dumped all your clothes in the floor would you expect the builder to ask if you lived in your home all week or just on the weekend? I did not think so either.......:cool:
Can you tow a stick built house down terribly maintained highways and have it bounce along and things work loose? I don't think so either. As I mentioned in an earlier thread you started, this has happened to other owners as well as myself. I can honestly say, I have a lot of t-shirts in our closet. I would bet around 60 to 70 pounds of clothes, if not more. We fixed it and kept on camping. It hasn't come down since.

Bob Vaughn

Just fix it & stop whining:eek:
Perhaps I should have been more clear about my gripe, the clothes rod is attached to the underside of the shelf in the bedroom closet. It did not break, it did not come loose, the shelf that holds the clothes rod is what broke. It is hollow and the front facia on the shelf broke in half......there was nothing on the shelf except pillows at the time....we only had shirts and shorts hanging there.....

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, sounds like a warranty item to me. I'm sure it will be like new when they get done.

ihsolutions

Well, I think we all know that if you use your RV on a Tuesday things like this will happen. :)

But seriously, I thought these units were warrantied for full-time use now? Heartland customer service is terrific, but I have had one bad experience calling them. Which I attribute to the individual on the phone more than Heartland. When my axle broke I was told that something must have happened while it was in storage, cause if it were like that when I dropped it off I would have noticed. Huh?

Other than that one time they have been BEYOND terrific. I can't sign their praises loud enough. My advice: try them again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, I had the same thing happen. Not hard to fix. Go buy a wood closet rod (they come in different color stains) and the round chrome brackets. Screw the 1 rod bracket that has the full circle to the floor. Screw the other one the the bottom of the shelf. Cut the rod to fit. There are little screw holes in the brackets. Put screws in those holes. I can now hang a side of beef in the closet.

Ray LeTourneau

Bob, I had the same thing happen. Not hard to fix. Go buy a wood closet rod (they come in different color stains) and the round chrome brackets. Screw the 1 rod bracket that has the full circle to the floor. Screw the other one the the bottom of the shelf. Cut the rod to fit. There are little screw holes in the brackets. Put screws in those holes. I can now hang a side of beef in the closet.
Bob, I think you read his recent post wrong. So did I! It appears his shelf came down, not just the rod. I guess if it were me, it would either be back to the dealer or looking at ways I could re-do the whole deal on my own and make it "bullet proof". There's always a better way, right??

Bob Vaughn

The mobile repair guy from the Heartland dealer came this morning to look at it and could not believe there was nothing to support the shelf in the center. It was just floating off the front wall......He wondered why they did not put a bracket from the shelf to the front wall to help carry the weight.....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The mobile repair guy from the Heartland dealer came this morning to look at it and could not believe there was nothing to support the shelf in the center. It was just floating off the front wall......He wondered why they did not put a bracket from the shelf to the front wall to help carry the weight.....

If mine had a center bracket like that, it would be sticking in the shoe rack at the back of the closet. Who has such a shelf support in their rig? I've checked my shelf, and it's not going anywhere. Even with the ton of stuff the wife hangs on it.

caissiel

I repeat here, I fix ours and its much stronger, the original rod was 5/8 tubing with plastic cover and the new rod is 1 in diameter standard house closet rod. My calculation indicates the the new rod is 2.5 times as strong as the original. In a 3 ft closet the original does fine but in my 8ft long closet it was just not enough.

Attachments

• Left Side Supports.JPG
    Left Side Supports.JPG
    769.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Center Support.JPG
    Center Support.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 39

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My shelf did the same thing. Just fixed it myself and kept on trucking. It is only Murphy's Law again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ray, I guess I left out the part where I had take the shelf apart and add lumber inside the 2 pieces cause mine came apart 2 times. Putting a shelf bracket in the rear wall might help alittle.....but there aint much there. Just thin plywood.

What I did was to take the upper shelf top off completely and left the bottom piece in place. I added 2X4's to the middle and where the tin outer pole brackets screwed thru the thin plywood. I added 2X2's in each corner. Glued, screwed, and brad nailed everything back together. Love my brad nailer. Just to be clear. The vertical closet pole I installed under the shelf.....not to the horizontal pole.

I was able to use all the original stuff...but Bob V. will need a new front facia.

Bob Vaughn

The RV repair guy seem to think there was a member behind the front wood wall....I will take my stud finder out there and see if I can find that member before he returns to fix it.......mabey he can put a support brace there.....

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, I guess I left out the part where I had take the shelf apart and add lumber inside the 2 pieces cause mine came apart 2 times. Putting a shelf bracket in the rear wall might help alittle.....but there aint much there. Just thin plywood.

What I did was to take the upper shelf top off completely and left the bottom piece in place. I added 2X4's to the middle and where the tin outer pole brackets screwed thru the thin plywood. I added 2X2's in each corner. Glued, screwed, and brad nailed everything back together. Love my brad nailer. Just to be clear. The vertical closet pole I installed under the shelf.....not to the horizontal pole.

I was able to use all the original stuff...but Bob V. will need a new front facia.
That sounds much worse than mine was. I only had to re-attach the brackets to the wooden frame. The factory guys missed the mark a few times. I used lag bolts instead of wood screws though. Still hangin in there! (pun intended):p