Which Fuel Tank Does the Genny Run Off Of?

frumbawa

Our rig has the aux fuel cell. While doing the PDI on our new Cyclone 3612 this past weekend, the service tech. took us through how the genny is set up. At the panel, he showed us how to prime and start the generator, etc. etc. When it came to the fuel guage, button in one direction shows level of the fuel station and the other way the aux tank. So the fuel station shows a quarter tank and the aux tank shows empty yet the generator had been running almost the entire time we were going through the trailer. So does the genny run off the fuel station with the aux being the back up or how does that work? Based on some other posts, I assumed with the aux tank, the genny ran strictly off that.

Help, I'm confused.

Frank

Sandpirate69

Re: Which Fual Tank Does the Genny Run Off Of?

My past experience with that set-up is that the Genset runs off its own tank & your Aux is only for the pump station. Just so you know the gauges are NOT perfect. After numerous years dry camping, where I hunt, that gauge could read 0 & the generator still ran. You would have to fill the Genset fuel tank, write down the exact amount of fuel, then run it untill it came down to 1/2 or 3/4 then refill with fuel to get a feel of how true the fuel gauge is. Your Aux tank should not feed the Genset. You want to be able to refuel the Genset when you want. Also, make sure your rig is real level.

Example, I currently have a RW305. From factory it comes with a 30gl. tank and it feeds the Genset & my Fuel station. I had another fuel tank installed just behind the 30 & it holds 18gls. Therefore, the Genset runs off the 30 & fuel station runs off the 18. if I need fuel for the Genset, then I just pump fuel into that tank. I'm probably going to install a transfer pump so that from the inside of the rig I can dump fuel from the Aux to the Genset.

Urban350

On my Cyclone the front tank is the gen. tank and the rear is the aux/fuel staion tank. My guage was wired backwards to what it should have been. I have 20gl for the gen. and 30 for the fuel station.

Sandpirate69

Urban350, that was going to be my next possability. My rig has had connections installed backwards. You beat me to it. That's why this forum is great, everyone has experienced something and is able to relate.

Thanks,
Ivan

rustyshakelford

On my Cyclone the front tank is the gen. tank and the rear is the aux/fuel staion tank. My guage was wired backwards to what it should have been. I have 20gl for the gen. and 30 for the fuel station.

This is spot on. Mine was the first or second to come off the line with this option and the gauge was wired backwards also.

Brett

frumbawa

Thanks for the feedback guys. So looking up under the back end of the rig, the smaller tank (aux tank?) is forward and the larger tank is in back next to the fuel pump. After reading your comment about the gauge, assuming it is wired correctly and the gas is in the fuel station tank, I should be able to pump it out with the nozzle. If nothing comes out, then the gauge is backward. If gas does come out, can I assume then that the genney is plumbed into the fuel station and not the secondary tank? And if that's the cause, does the aux tank have a purpose?

Again, thanks for the feedback so far.

Frank

rustyshakelford

If you plan to use your genny, fill up the front tank. Check the gauge, if it shows full for the genny, your good to go. If it still shows empty buy the fuel station is now full, then swap the wires

Brett