We're full time!

After two years of dreaming and planning, we've been out on the road for almost a week now! We love our home!! We moved in with the pets and all about a month and a half ago, staying at a local RV park while we finished the sale of the condo and last minute tie-up-the-loose-ends kinda stuff. We've never felt so free! We left Central WA and took 84 through Oregon, Idaho, 15 through Utah (construction around SLC, be aware...and the road is horrid!) and down to Flagstaff, now in Cottonwood, headed to Buckeye for the winter. We staying in Zion's Park for three days to ride the Harley, and we'll ride the Jerome/Prescott area tomorrow. Pirate did great getting the bike up and down that ramp, although it is a little slick, even when your feet are dry. We have all winter to come up with a solution for that. We're really leaning toward the spray-on bed liner they use for trucks.

Our mini schnauzer is doing great, Willie the kitty, not so much. He doesn't like riding in the truck at all! Good thing we're parked for 7 months soon. We'll take him for lots of rides while we're there so he realizes this is going to be what life is all about now. Other than Willie's anxiety, we're all having fun and are the most relaxed we've ever been. Retirement is wonderful!! We have yet to see another Road Warrior out there yet. Anyone other than Terry and Doyle full timing in a RW?

rick_debbie_gallant

Good for you guys and the move. If the value drops anymore on our house (right now it has dropped about 60% and We are under water by about 50K) we may just walk away from it and let it go back to the bank. We can buy a lot of diesel for $1600. per month and not have to mow the grass, etc.... Perhaps we will bump into you in Texas in the "coastal bend" area. Later. Oh yeah, try some sort of shingle material on on the ramp. Something that is self stick and with gravel in it.

yepuhuh

Just curious, this means you have no house to call home other than your 5th wheel?

I like others do want to go fulltime but the timings is just not right. I've worked for a company for 27 years and the pension amount is just shy of 800.00 per month.

I have other sources of income that will kick in at 62 and 63, but that is 5-7 years away.

Mywork also allows me to be mobile so I'm thinking if I can find a good solution for internet access I could mostly live anywhere.

My wife does not like the idea of walking away from our home but a 1700.00 a month mortgage and we only have about 30k in equity is a lot to bear with this economy. Plus mywork is laying people off on a daily basis.

I think my first order of business is pay the balance on our new 5ver and tuck, which we could do in less than 2 years, but then it is our health to be concerned about in case we need medical services.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Congrats Pirate & Kitty! Let the journey begin. As for Willie, we had the same problem with KK. After the first hour of whining in the truck, we put him in the trailer. He might whine back there but we can't hear him. But really, he seems fine once we arrive and he comes out of hiding. We just make sure we have him in hand when we open and close the slides.
If it's really hot or cold out, we'll bring him in the truck. He eventually settles down under a seat in the back but it takes a while.

Best wishes and safe travels to you all.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Congrats to you. We have been fulltiming since June and love it. It took a year for the house to sell but the wait was worth it. Come on down to Rockport Texas for the winter there are a few of us going to be there, and some will be in the misson area.

sharmulst

Congratulations on you fulltime lifestyle. We have been doing it for 4 years and love it. We have met many people who work while on the road. A couple that stayed in the CG we hosted in SD this summer were using Verizon aircard. We also use the aircard, personal use, and have had good luck with it all over the US. On the 10th of Oct. we head to Coffeyville, KS to work for Amazon in their warehouse as a seasonal employee. Looking forward to it. Right now it is warm in western Montana, but the forecast shows it will be turning chilly next week. Time to head south. :)

rick_debbie_gallant

Congrats to you. We have been fulltiming since June and love it. It took a year for the house to sell but the wait was worth it. Come on down to Rockport Texas for the winter there are a few of us going to be there, and some will be in the misson area.

Debbie and I will be looking for ya. Should be there the first few days of November.

rlaubert

Yepuhuh,
My wife and I 7 years ago sold our house and the $1900 mortgage, purchased a fifth wheel and truck and started full-timing. The money we saved living full time has allowed us to pay off all debts, put money in the bank, do more things and still put money away for retirement. We have not yet quit the jobs as with you I get my retirement in a few years. We live full time in our RV in Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia. I would not go back to a stick home again unless health or physical concerns force me to.

yepuhuh

Ray I like the way you are thinking....My mortgage is 1700 a month. My wife and I are seriously looking at a way to live full time in our RV and get our savings and such in order just like that.... We have one kid left at home and then we are empty nesters......