Lots of "chucking"

Cyclone5

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a Cyclone 3800 toy hauler. I tow it with a Dodge 3500 with Proglide hitch (air bags installed on the truck). I am getting a terrible amount of "chucking" when towing the trailer (jerking back and forth). Anyone have any like issues, or any suggestions on remedies? Thanks!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cyclone5 welcome to the Heartland Family and Forum. And congratulations on the new Cyclone.
Chucking is a common thing with 5th wheel trailers. There are a couple of pin box arrangements that can help.
Trail Air Tri Glide and MorRyde both have offerings to help out. These are just two of em.
I have the Trail Air Tri Glide and have no more chucking.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

ncc1701e

Your trailer is larger than mine, but, I had terrible chucking. Installed a Mor/Ryde Pin box and the difference was amazing. My trruck is a short bed F250 w/air bags.

Feb 2011.JPG Mor-Ryde King Pin Bench Picture.jpg Mor-Ryde King Pin.jpg

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I am far from a hitch expert but fortunately we have had no chucking issues with our Big Country. We have a very basic hitch and the stock pin box. I can't help but wonder if "load" is a factor in the chucking issues. Our previous rig had some chucking but it had a fairly light pin weight. Do you all have the same chucking problem with the garage empty? Just curious.

With our hitch (HiJacker) we can adjust the play in the pin clamp so there is less forward/backward motion. Perhaps you can do the same with your hitch.

Best Wishes!

beasleyrl

Another option that really helps is an air hitch. The Trailersaver by Hensley is great!

If this was being pulled with nothing in the garage, add some weight. It really helps take some weight off the pin and the truck will ride much better...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another owner here with the Trail Air/Tri Glide combo. Mor Ryde is another option. If I were to choose over again, I might try the Mor Ryde just to see how they compare. The Trail Air reduces the jarring to the trailer and less bounce is felt in the truck. the Tri Glide lower jaw option reduces the chucking.

Delaine and Lindy

I have used the Valley/Huskey, Reese, B&W, Trailair pin box, Trailer Saver Air ride hitches and the Mor/Rye pin box.. On one system I used the Trailer Saver and Mor/Ryde pin box and no chucking or banging, excellent combo. I have also used the Trailer Saver air ride with the Trailair pin box, the Trailair wasn't needed. So when we ordered the new 5er we deleted the Trailair Pin box and ordered the standard pin box, no issues at all, no chucking or banging..... Thru trail and error and lots of money I have determined that the Trailer Saver Air ride hitch is the best 5th wheel hitch on the market. The design and action of the Trailer Saver elimnates the chucking and banging.. And the Trailer Saver mounts on most all bedrails, will be upgrading Trucks soon and will be keeping the Trailer Saver. The Trailer saver is pricey but so is your Truck and 5th wheel.. Happy Trails...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have used the Valley/Huskey, Reese, B&W, Trailair pin box, Trailer Saver Air ride hitches and the Mor/Rye pin box.. On one system I used the Trailer Saver and Mor/Ryde pin box and no chucking or banging, excellent combo. I have also used the Trailer Saver air ride with the Trailair pin box, the Trailair wasn't needed. So when we ordered the new 5er we deleted the Trailair Pin box and ordered the standard pin box, no issues at all, no chucking or banging..... Thru trail and error and lots of money I have determined that the Trailer Saver Air ride hitch is the best 5th wheel hitch on the market. The design and action of the Trailer Saver elimnates the chucking and banging.. And the Trailer Saver mounts on most all bedrails, will be upgrading Trucks soon and will be keeping the Trailer Saver. The Trailer saver is pricey but so is your Truck and 5th wheel.. Happy Trails...

Trailer Saver is great. We got one about 6 months ago and it is money well spent.

porthole

Retired
What exactly is your Proglide hitch?

I wouldn't recommend the tri-glide, I think the trailer is just too heavy for it.
Had a MOR/ryde since new, took it off to use a tri-glide, really didn't like it and put the MOR/ryde back on. Sure glad no one took me up on my Craig's list offer.

I had MOR/ryde change out the shear spring this year to a higher durometer (the springs are rubber "shear springs"). Works even better now.

RollingHome

I had heavy chucking since new because the dealer (hitch installer) mounted the hitch (Hensley Trailer Saver TS3) behind the axle. Moving it in front of the axle (6" forward) helped a lot but has it not stopped the chucking entirely. After reading this post I will be installing the Mor/Ryde pin box Thanks guys ! The TS3 saves your back from jars and saves the 5er welds by reducing jars too. Tom

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had heavy chucking since new because the dealer (hitch installer) mounted the hitch (Hensley Trailer Saver TS3) behind the axle. Moving it in front of the axle (6" forward) helped a lot but has it not stopped the chucking entirely. After reading this post I will be installing the Mor/Ryde pin box Thanks guys ! The TS3 saves your back from jars and saves the 5er welds by reducing jars too. Tom

We love our Mor-Ryde hitch. It does dampen the chucking. The Trailer Saver TS3 is great also. It is a great combination.

Theresau

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a Cyclone 3800 toy hauler. I tow it with a Dodge 3500 with Proglide hitch (air bags installed on the truck). I am getting a terrible amount of "chucking" when towing the trailer (jerking back and forth). Anyone have any like issues, or any suggestions on remedies? Thanks!!!

We also had a great deal of chucking - had just the TrailAir - no up/down issues just chucking - esp. with Michigan roads. We upgraded this summer by replacing the lower jaw (at post 2011 national rally price of $250) of the TrailAir and we now have a TrailAir TriGlide. Our first trip was the MI rally and we were very pleased to find that at least 80% of the chucking was gone. And when there was chucking it had less impact on "us."

Since then, Joe added a bike rack to the back of the Bighorn - we experienced more chucking during our recent trip. We plan to add more weight to the front for the next trip. The 3410RE doesn't tend to have a high pin weight - we assume because of all the weight in the rear due to the rear entertainment center. But even though we had chucking it was still better. (I had also added some electrical appliances to the cupboard above the rear entertainment center.)

Internet reading indicated that the TriGlide needs pin weight to be effective.

Hope this helps.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Theresau makes a good point here about pin weight. The tri glide is more effective with heavier pin weights. I also discovered that it really helps to have a level position when hooked up. By that I mean the hitch plate should be as close to level as possible when the air bag is properly inflated and hooked up, ready for travel. If it's tilted back like mine was, it will not reduce the chucking as much. It doesn't get full travel. Make sense?

Last edited:

Theresau

Theresau makes a good point here about pin weight. The tri glide is more effective with heavier pin weights. I also discovered that it really helps to have a level position when hooked up. By that I mean the hitch plate should be as close to level as possible when the air bag is properly inflated and hooked up, ready for travel. If it's tilted back like mine was, it will not reduce the chucking as much. It doesn't get full travel. Make sense?

Ray, Joe thinks that was one of the problems we had in our latest trip - he deflated the air bag some on our return trip and it made a big difference. The TriGlide's jaw is lower so it causes the trailer to tip more...and then we had added the bike rack and bikes to the rear this trip too.

bscid

I was talking to Tom at Tweety's today and he brought up the Demco product as well as the Mor Ryde. Said he had good experience with the Mor Ryde but was impressed by the viseo at the Demco site. I watched that and it is impressive. I have some of the same chucking thing going on and I'm checking the options as well. I appreciate the conversation.

Thanks.

Bob