Trim caulking has separated

Sandpirate69

The caulking on the right hand side on the leading edge just before the bend for the propane storage is separating. What's the best method to reseal it? Should I clean the old one out with a razor blade & then re-caulk it? It's about 2" in length & a hair in width. Just noticed it after my return from my hunt trip.

Thanks,
Ivan :confused:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ivan, yes, but I would remove it all around the door frame. I guess Dicor is recommended as the sealer. I have used different stuff and it seems to work well.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would not use a razor blade for removal of the old caulk. A big box home improvement center will have a plastic, caulk removing tool.
I would also do the entire seam not just the 2" length in question.
After the caulk is removed clean the surface with mineral spirits. Be careful around the vinyl graphics.
Just my three cents.

Peace
Dave

Sandpirate69

I would not use a razor blade for removal of the old caulk. A big box home improvement center will have a plastic, caulk removing tool.
I would also do the entire seam not just the 2" length in question.
After the caulk is removed clean the surface with mineral spirits. Be careful around the vinyl graphics.
Just my three cents.

Peace
Dave

Ok, i'm on my way to Home Depot to get what I need for this job. It's never ending. But, it's not as bad as having a 31' boat.

Vtxkid

I know the area that your talking about because mine has done it also.... Its apparently is a problem for a lot of us Cyclone and Road Warrior owners. Before you apply the fix to the area in question, try hooking up to the TV and release the weight of the front hydraulics and see if that same area separates even more (which is why the problem exist in the first place). I have been wondering how to fix it also but if its going to separate every time you tow the rig down the road, its a waste of time... Heartland needs to know about this as I have seen this same problem at the same area on other toy haulers also...

Sandpirate69

I know the area that your talking about because mine has done it also.... Its apparently is a problem for a lot of us Cyclone and Road Warrior owners. Before you apply the fix to the area in question, try hooking up to the TV and release the weight of the front hydraulics and see if that same area separates even more (which is why the problem exist in the first place). I have been wondering how to fix it also but if its going to separate every time you tow the rig down the road, its a waste of time... Heartland needs to know about this as I have seen this same problem at the same area on other toy haulers also...

What's very interesting is that its only on the right side. I looked on the left side & it's sealed perfect. Also I checked the underside where the front cap meets the underside (rear of pinbox) , ther's a long strip of plastic, that assume covers screws, on each side of pin box. The front of that plastic is sealed nicely, the backside moves so much that it's brocken the seal. Now dumb question, there are screws that hold that large plastic laminate that goes all the way down to the where the Genset is at. I was thinking of getting some of those screws to secure that upper section to prevent that extra flex. Just trying to keep any water from entering the rig. But I will check what you said in a few weeks, as I will be headed up north for another hunt.

Thx
Ivan

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a problem with the calk seperating on the Off Door Side. I don't know which side your referring to when you say right side. It would help if you would use Off Door side or drivers side & Door side or Passenger side. My propane is on the ODS. I had a problem with the frame needing additional support on the ODS, and I had it reinforced.

Something to help if you are like me and not very good at caulking. Put some blue painters tape above and below the caulking area. Spread the caulk between the tape and when it is about dry you take a cup of water, dip your finger into it and wipe off the excess. Let it dry then remove the tape. Does pretty good for me.

Here is the type of caulk that was used on my trailer at Heartland when they did my repairs, Sikaflex 521UV White 300 ML CRT.

BC

rick_debbie_gallant

I had a problem with the calk seperating on the Off Door Side. I don't know which side your referring to when you say right side. It would help if you would use Off Door side or drivers side & Door side or Passenger side.]

BC

I still use "port" and "steerboard". Works for us.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Boy are you in trouble.. That is the same side... Port or Left and Steerboard (side which you steer your TV) is also on the left unless you are driving one of those English vehicles. :D

You could paint your 5er red on the ODS and Green on the DS or change the clearance lights and then learn the rules of the sea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard . That still goes with the old yield right of way. I'm an ole Navy Navigator when going to sea...

BC

rick_debbie_gallant

Boy are you in trouble.. That is the same side... Port or Left and Steerboard (side which you steer your TV) is also on the left unless you are driving one of those English vehicles. :D

You could paint your 5er red on the ODS and Green on the DS or change the clearance lights and then learn the rules of the sea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard . That still goes with the old yield right of way. I'm an ole Navy Navigator when going to sea...

BC

Ya see what happens when things get their meaning on "that side" of the pond. Would "starboard" be better for ye? Ummm, I know the words of the c. "Shiver me timbers mate, it is getting cold enough up here to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. Cant wait to get down to the gulf and get a whiff of those warm sea breezes. Sure wish my rig wernt so tall, I would put up a steadying sail of sorts or perhaps a square rig and take advantage of those cold north winds that are starting to blow south. Oh well soon enough.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I confused...us old Army dudes don't understand those nautical terms but do door side and off door side.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ya see what happens when things get their meaning on "that side" of the pond. Would "starboard" be better for ye? Ummm, I know the words of the c. "Shiver me timbers mate, it is getting cold enough up here to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. Cant wait to get down to the gulf and get a whiff of those warm sea breezes. Sure wish my rig wernt so tall, I would put up a steadying sail of sorts or perhaps a square rig and take advantage of those cold north winds that are starting to blow south. Oh well soon enough.

Or was it, "Arrgh! Sixteen days on a stormy sea...bring me the cabin boy." "We're a ship of men and none of us are sissies. At night we sleep in separate bunks and blow each other kissies." Martin Mull

Sandpirate69

Ok boys, it's the steerboard side. I have a propane tank on both sides (Port & Steerboard Side). Didn't try to get you confused, just writing how I was thinking. You think being in the Navy active duty for 8 years & now a complete 15 with reserves, I would know better. Well, I cleaned that area out and re-caulked the area using DAP caulk. I will hook it up next week to see if the weight pushes that seam back out breaking the caulked seem. BTW those winds from the gulf and those warm sea breezes are starting to shift. Much cooler now than the previous months.

Ivan

jnbhobe

I have no problem with the plain old right and left sides. I guess it comes from too many years messing with cars and trucks

mikeandconnie

Left Hand is looking forward on the left side, this goes for RV's Aircraft, Trains, and every thing I been around. Port is for boats or left hand.

Sandpirate69

Well it seems my post on trim caulking became an instructional on Left or Right, Port or Steerboard. This is great :eek:. I loaded the fiver on my TV to see if the weight on the hitch would push the seam. Well for right now it held. I will check it again in a few days & then in a couple weeks at my property. Hope it works. BTW thanks for the free directional lessons. LOL :D

Ivan

robnmo

Well it seems my post on trim caulking became an instructional on Left or Right, Port or Steerboard. This is great :eek:. I loaded the fiver on my TV to see if the weight on the hitch would push the seam. Well for right now it held. I will check it again in a few days & then in a couple weeks at my property. Hope it works. BTW thanks for the free directional lessons. LOL :D

Ivan

Caulking seems to be an issue at several places. I replaced alot of caulking the 1st season on our Cylcone, now it's a year later and some of it has started to seperate as well as others places of the original caulking, I replaced it with what the factory uses, I also (as a test only) replaced some other places that were letting loose with a white silicone we use for restaurant equipment installation. Silicone is going to be much harder to replace than what they use at Heartland, but so far ALL the silicone joints I repaired look same as they did a year ago when applied, the others where I used factory type caulking are coming loose. I'm going silicone everywhere as it needs it. Just my .02 cents worth..........besides the Cyclone will now be USDA approved for food product/preparation. :D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I used this for fixing some of the (non-roof) trim areas on my rig. Much cleaner than Dicor's non-leveling gunk.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am also an old Army dude. But was able to learn port and starboard or "steerboard" which is the original word (I think any way.)

My information quotes this about Starboard...

The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning the side on which the ship is steered, descendant from the Old Norse words stýri meaning "rudder" (from the verb stýra, literally "being at the helm", "having a hand in") and borð meaning etymologically "board", then the "side of a ship
As stated in the above link..

Fortunately I was not around back then so I'm not sure how the word Starboard came about... Maybe it just floated in from the right side... Funny how much you can learn on this forum... Love it .. Love it...

BC