Stairs

Westwind

As in the past I've learned that the fold up stairs are an RV weak spot. Our 5th wheel was manufactured in April and many (Most) of the rivets holding them together have rusted, sad part is it has nothing to using it, since we haven't had a chance.
:(
Had a chance to sand the rusty rivets and then touch them up with Rustoleum, next I would like to give the stairs a spray coat of Rustoleum. Would like to do it without taking them off the 5th wheel but we will see what happens and how lazy I can be and still get the job done.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rust is a normal occurrence on steel. Do you lubricate all the pivot points?

Peace
Dave

chris4905

I vote for grinding off the rusting rivets and replacing them with a stainless bolts, washers, and lock nuts.

May even be an easier and a better fix than the sand and paint (which would probably have to be done again shortly).

Just a thought.

Birchwood

I spray all metal surfaces on my Landmark with Fluid Film.Its a non petroleum product
so it doesn't evaporate or wash away.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I would like to give the stairs a spray coat of Rustoleum. Would like to do it without taking them off the 5th wheel but we will see what happens and how lazy I can be and still get the job done.

I have done this a couple of times! Works great!

Westwind

Well I sanded the rust cover rivets and other area's on the stairs of our new Bighorn, understand reader's of this post I'm very satisfied with the quality of our new Bighorn 3070. We haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I've used all systems and we have had to date no leaks or malfunctions. We did have a bad thermostat for the fan, Fantastic Fan sent me a new one, yes they are FANTASTIC. Had a blown fuse on that circuit also, could have been the fan thermostat. But that is it.
Now back to the stairs. I've only had two RV's, my Sunnybrook and our new Heartland. Both entrance stairs required painting within a year of purchase, Heartland at purchase. I really think the stair manufacturers could do a better job on the finishing.
I think I will be forced to remove the entire stair and sand them down and give them a good coat of Rustoleum.
Don't think I want a faded finish with fresh paint area's on my beautiful new trailer.

GOTTOYS

My steps were faded when I got it also. I sanded the rust off and spot primed them. Then I went over all the steps with a Scotchbrite pad to scuff them up. After masking off the rest of the are I sprayed about 4 coats of a quality paint on them. I think it was Rustoleum. They still like like new. I sprayed right over the non-skid strips on the steps as they would be a job to mask. Worked great. Be sure to use a high quality paint as the cheap stuff just doesn't hold up...Don

Westwind

I've used Rustoleum on our other RV steps and they held up well, I think I'm just going to do a good job taping ouff the surrounding area and get up early in the morn before the wind picks up and spray paint them. Yes I will sand them up first, like I said I reallly don't like the faded look.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use lithium grease and have had no problem. My steps are a bit faded but work fine. I have the 3 steps. Not sure how the 4 steps are holding up.

BC

Westwind

I think mine just didn't get the final paint job, the finish is dull and not only the rivets but the joints and inner corners of the steps had rust. I used a small brush and was able to get into all the corners and Rustolium them well so it's really ok for our trip to Florida. But they will need additional work next fall, with my work schedule the last 2 1/2 months I missed the window to work on them. But you never know, I'm down to 4 more days on this seasonal job and then off until next spring.

RollingHome

I make repainting the outside "black" metal components a part of my yearly maintenance every year in the fall just before I winterize. I do very little if any sanding... it's not needed. What I do is pressure wash and brush/soap the entire unit. I let it dry thoroughly for a few days [with no rain allowed :) ]. Then I take a clean rag and dry wipe all the areas I'm going to paint (Chassis, steps (paint over the rough no-slip surface), LP gas line, jacks, spair tire holder... everything). I buy RustOleum brand "rust Converter" ( this stuff is the best thing since ice cream). You just spray right over the rust (iron oxide) it chemically converts the rust into a ceramic which is then a paintable primer ). I let it dry several hours or overnight and spray it with RustOleum gloss black. I also buy Krylon brand rust converter because it has a stream which goes a couple of feet and spots a 2" diameter area. I do the leaf springs and hard to get areas with it. My coach still looks brand new, in fact a couple came up on our last trip and commented to Patti - "Did you guys just get that rig it looks new" - it's 2+ years old. All this painting takes 2 days to do. The long part is masking off. Try the rust converter, you'll be sold I'm sure. Here's my list for a 3670RL

1 - roll 3/4" Blue painters tape.
1 - Roll 2" blue tape.
Old newspaper to cover.
2 - Cans Rust O Rust Converter Spray
1 - Can Krylon Rust Converter Spray
2 - Cans Rust O Gloss Black Spray (Industrial Grade)
1 - 8 OZ Loctite Rust Neutralizer (brush in can) for small spotting of rusted areas (ie - hinges on slam doors, etc.)
Some clean rags and paper towels.
2 - Paint mask, you really need these.
3 - Pair disposable gloves
1 - 6 pac of your favorite beverage (more if you have help).

Westwind

Tom - Thanks for sharing - I like the plan, Hopefully mother nature will co-operate with me next week and I think I'll be taking your suggestions, I know I won't keep it brand new but I'd like to keep it looking decent for as long as I can. I travel to Florida during the month of February from Rhode Island and there is usually alot of rust causing stuff on the roads.

wdk450

I had my 4 step stairs fail while on a recent trip. While I maintain the critical support/limit bar on the 2nd step should be mounted into beefier, reenforced side plate metal, I also take some blame in the failure of these steps in my unrolling of the steps in a hard slam fashion repeatedly, that probably broke the sides metal and crossbar off. In my posting about my steps failure, I also recommended regular inspections of the sideplates/crossbar areas for cracks to prevent a possible accident. I was lucky that my steps broke as I opened them, and not when someone tried to walk up them.