New sensors vs new system?

timk

Anybody have an opinion on whether or not it makes sense to replace my batteries in a Doran system vs buying a whole new system from this new TST outfit?

From what I understand my cost is about the same either way, for 10 tires.

I keep getting no sensor messages and warnings when I know the tire is good. So I'm assuming my batteries are on the way out. The system is 5 or 6 years old.

Thanks

branson4020

Icantre Member
I don't think you have the option of replacing batteries in the Doran system. On mine, you have to order new sensors.

timk

Bob, thanks, I should have said replace sensors instead of batteries. But it amounts to the same thing. You are correct, thats also my understanding when they go dead, thats it, go get new ones. I was just having an issue spending 500 bucks for 10 new batteries (sensors).

Sandpirate69

I have the TST (507) replaceable battery system and they have been working great so far. Can't say for the Doran, or compare. Sorry. But if you do go with the TST check for pricing because they will sell you the 1st kit with 4 sensors and then charge you $100 bucs for a set of 2. I needed 8, so I bought two kits which brought 4 sensors. Now I just have a spare monitor in case I drop the one in the truck, i'll use that one as a back-up.

Ivan

branson4020

Icantre Member
Well, I'm certain that when mine start to go, I'm replacing the whole system. I've got about 3 years on mine so far.

jnbhobe

Try a PM to Cookie, He went with TST instead of buying sensors for his Presure-Pro. I think he's pretty happy with his dicision.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
TST has two types of sensors. One you send in for a new battery and rebuild, the other you can replace yourself. Some difference in price. I've got the 510's on the trailer, but take them off when parked on our seasonal site or in storage.

How long do the sensor batteries last?

On average the
510 sensor batteries last between 5 and 7 years, and the 507 batteries are intended to be changed approximately every 10-12 months. The sensors stop transmitting after being disconnected from the tires. If you park your commercial vehicle for extended periods of time or if you store an RV for the winter, you can remove the sensors and extend battery life. The included battery life estimate is based upon full time use.

What happens when sensor batteries do expire?

As with all wireless systems, when
the 510 sensor batteries do finally die, you can simply return them to us. For $19.95, we will replace all sensor gaskets, we will replace the shell, we will replace the battery, and we will tender to you a reworked sensor ready for 5+ more years of service. The 507 batteries are readily available and easily replaced.

timk

Thanks everybody.

John, sounds like your selling or involved with the TST system. Can you tell me what the difference is in the two types of batteries. While I like the idea of user changeable battery, I'm afraid that changing 10 batteries every year or so, would turn into a serious pain in the butt.

So I'm just thinking out loud here, bear with me.

Pressure pro, 500.00 for 10 sensors or about 100.00 every year. 10 year cost 1000.00

TST 510, 500.00 up front first 5 years 200.00 ea 5 year thereafter. 10 year cost 700.00

TST 507, 500.00 up front first year, Say 20 bucks a year for batteries, 10 year cost 680.00

Humm.... I'm thinking 510 might be the way to go.

Can anybody shed some light on how long the 510, and the 507 have been on the market?

thanks again everybody

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had the Pressure Pro system and had no issues with it. But now it is time for new sensors, so I bought the TST 510. It was a wash as far as pricing. I thought I would try something new.
I like the TST although I have had some problems with it. But I gotta say that the customer service has been outstanding. All is good now.
The replacement sensors for the TST 510 I think are $20. Should last 5-7 years. I will see.

Peace
Dave

hcriddle

I am still saving my pennies for the TST but I will get enough to monitor both the spares on the trailer and the TV. When I bought new wheels and tires back in June the spare was flat when they replaced it. I want to track that one as much as the ones on the ground. You don't want to wind up on the side of the road with a flat spare.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It only came to mind when I was in my wife's van that is now 11 years old, never had a flat before and had the first one, went to change the tire and buboom, it was flat also. Not a great filling!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks everybody.

John, sounds like your selling or involved with the TST system. Can you tell me what the difference is in the two types of batteries. While I like the idea of user changeable battery, I'm afraid that changing 10 batteries every year or so, would turn into a serious pain in the butt.

So I'm just thinking out loud here, bear with me.

Pressure pro, 500.00 for 10 sensors or about 100.00 every year. 10 year cost 1000.00

TST 510, 500.00 up front first 5 years 200.00 ea 5 year thereafter. 10 year cost 700.00

TST 507, 500.00 up front first year, Say 20 bucks a year for batteries, 10 year cost 680.00

Humm.... I'm thinking 510 might be the way to go.

Can anybody shed some light on how long the 510, and the 507 have been on the market?

thanks again everybody

Nope, not selling or affiliated in any way. Just providing factual information in a timely manner.

porthole

Retired
Does anyone put sensors on there spare tires?
No. Easy enough to check before a trip. Monitoring tires on the ground is my concern. But I also have an on-board compressor if needed.

When I bought my first kit, The TST 510 (I think) it had non replaceable batteries. When questioning the rep about what I do in 5 years his reply beside get new sensors was that the odds were good the technology 5 years from now will outpace anything on the market today. That certainly makes sense.

When I had a sensor problem this past summer TST stepped right up and took care of it.
In the process I upgraded to the replaceable battery version, the 507.

I like the 507 better. The monitor is much easier to mount, thinner and has an on off switch. It also has a self programming mode for sensor learning.

I would not hesitate to buy another 507 kit if the situation dictated it.

My older system alerting me to a tire failure - in plenty of time to stop safely.

timk

After hearing from Pat McFall, it was suggested I contact Pressure Pro directly. Turns out replacement cost is only 35.00 per sensor. So here are the updated comparison prices.

Pressure pro, 350.00 for 10 sensors each 5 years or so, 10 year cost 700.00

So, Pressure Pro is the least costly in the short term. 10 year cost its a push.

porthole

Retired
If you were to buy new and compared the two systems, both in features and user inputs, the TST would probably come out on top.

timk

For whats its worth, I reset everything a week or so ago, and so far everything is working just fine. So perhaps another year or so till I have to make a decision.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The batteries in my TST 507 are just now starting to fail. I replaced one yesterday. I found Panasonic CR1632 on ebay for about $1 each ordered in a lot of 5. It takes about 3 minutes to replace the battery and they do not need to be recoded. Pretty simple deal for what it's worth.