Ice maker ice tastes bad

phix

We got our Bighorn May 2011. I mentioned to the salesman during walk thru that the ice maker ice smells and tastes bad. He said that it takes a while. Can anyone tell me how long it might be before the ice is usable? The ice maker works great and churns out a bunch of ice, but yuck.

Here we are with an ice maker, but using 2 ice trays from the dollar store instead.:(

SGeohagan

We got our BH in April 2011. It has an ice maker. DH thought the ice maker a waste because the ice wouldn't be good. We already used an exterior water filter. I bought an On-The-Go water softener and DH has been happy with the quality of the ice. The water softener also makes cleaning shower, sinks, etc. easier.

lwmcguir

We got our Bighorn May 2011. I mentioned to the salesman during walk thru that the ice maker ice smells and tastes bad. He said that it takes a while. Can anyone tell me how long it might be before the ice is usable? The ice maker works great and churns out a bunch of ice, but yuck.

Here we are with an ice maker, but using 2 ice trays from the dollar store instead.:(

Check the supply tube. If it is white and dont have NSF stamped on it, change it for a NSF tube. Ours was just a poly tube and the ice tasted like a standard water hose. It took days to get the taste out after starting the ice maker. Now just a couple of batches.

Last edited:

wdk450

This topic has been posted several times over the years. I suggest you put "Ice Maker" in the search bar and read all of the results.

phix

Thanks all for your replies. I'll get DH working on looking at the supply line soon.

wdk450

I bought a heavier line for my rig as the installed line tends to develop pinhole leaks. This line flexes as the kitchen slide goes in an out. The heavier line is a larger diameter, and the old line is secured in wire guides and sealed with expanding foam at places, so I haven't replaced it yet.