Draining Water Heater

sjs731

I want to drain my water heater for winter. I am assuming that when I remove the cover there is a plug that look like a 1" socket will fit and I should pull that out to drain the water heater. I say I need to use a socket because it isn't easy to get a channel lock or crescent wrench on it and it is tight enough that I am sure I would round it off before I got it out. Any tips?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I want to drain my water heater for winter. I am assuming that when I remove the cover there is a plug that look like a 1" socket will fit and I should pull that out to drain the water heater. I say I need to use a socket because it isn't easy to get a channel lock or crescent wrench on it and it is tight enough that I am sure I would round it off before I got it out. Any tips?

You will need an 1 1/16" socket to get it off. It's actually the end of the anode rod that you're looking at. Be sure the water is cold before doing it, though. Open the pressure relief valve and then remove the anode rod. That will relieve any pressure still in the tank and help it drain better. If you want to get ALL of the water out (some will remain due to the position of the hole in the tank), stick the end of a small shop towel in there until it gets wet and let it hang and drip. That will draw the rest of the water out. Just did it today, matter of fact.

sjs731

Thanks. That told me exactly what I needed to know. It is starting to freeze at night now and I'm still going to use it on Halloween weekend but just want to get the water out till then.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When you remove the anode take a brush, like a bottle brush but a little smaller, and push it in and out of the anode opening. This will help get a lot of the sediment from the anode out of the bottom of your tank. You can also use something like this rinser from Camping World .

BC

1231ChaseB

After my hot water tank quit's draining i put a small plastic hose about 2 foot long in it and siphon quite a bit more water out ! I was surprised how much more water came out ! Then i put a little pink stuff back in it just to be extra safe and put the plug back in !
chaseb

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I drain my hot water tank every time I move. I don't want to carry the extra weight. Plus I was told the draining helps clean out the tank. Also, I have been in CG with water containing a lot of iron or just plain hard water. Pulling the plug is the last task before pulling out of the CG. I did purchase a brush from Camping World designed to clean out the tank, but a bottle brush or a brush used to clean a fish tank filter will work, too.

noobee

You will need an 1 1/16" socket to get it off. It's actually the end of the anode rod that you're looking at. Be sure the water is cold before doing it, though. Open the pressure relief valve and then remove the anode rod. That will relieve any pressure still in the tank and help it drain better. If you want to get ALL of the water out (some will remain due to the position of the hole in the tank), stick the end of a small shop towel in there until it gets wet and let it hang and drip. That will draw the rest of the water out. Just did it today, matter of fact.

Also, put the anode rod back in (don't hard tighten) so the crawlies don't get into the tank.

CS

lwmcguir

Anode life is directly proportional to the amount of dissolved solids in you water with pH and water balance being factors as well. Very low TDS and high TDS will both consume the anode faster. Very cheap insurance to replace them as needed.

Birchwood

If you don't release the pressure using the pressure release valve or just simply open the hot water tap
stand back because there is pressure.I use a cresent wrench and vice grips on the cresent wrench to
remove the plug because its an odd size.You may want to flush the scales collected at the bottom
of the tank using a cut off garden hose or whatever .Check your anode and change it if there is less than 25%
remaining.