Gooseneck

Cynusps

Has anyone converted their 5th wheel to a goose neck using a goose neck adapter? If so did you have any problems with stress to the camper? Was the ride better?

Thanks

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
There is no ride improvement. I have had no stress problems but it will void your warranty with Lippert. All in all I won't do it again.

caissiel

I have already broken the frame around the pin box of the previous SOB trailer and I did some engineering design calculations and there is very little additional stresses we can add to the pin box. A Gooseneck can add over 200% the reactions at the pin box. No way I would even think of using a gooseneck on a pin box designed RV.

In addition we have heard of broken frames, why would someone take a chance.

Also I discovered the broken frame after I was towed (Emergency) by a gooseneck setup for a distance of 20 miles. The driver used his jakebrake instead of the trailer braking system, and me sitting in the back seat could see the movement of the pin box. I told the driver to at least stop using the jakebrake and he never did. I had to repair my frame after 3 months. I am not saying it caused the failure but it sure helped in the failure as the frame was ruined durng the trailer construction. One beam was reduced in strenght by 50% due to careless cutting, It was the one beam taking most the load of the pin box.

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
I find this interesting. My RV dealer Camping World put the "goose neck" on my camper and never said a word about voiding any warranties but they never mentioned anything about the HOC either. I do know that they mounted the system too low and it decorative cowling around the hitch pin scraped along my bed box and damaged both. I like the goose neck mount because I use my truck bed all the time so not having to removed a hitch system each time is a plus but I do experience some bucking with the system and that at times is disconcerning but all and all no real complaints. This is my second 5th wheel in 6 years so I had the goose neck adapter for a while but we have taken only a few long trips of 2000 miles or more without too many complaints. I will also tell you in Wisconsin when going to a goose neck system you are required to use safety chains as well, and I'm not sure how many other states require safety chains by switching over. The dealers fail to tell you this as well until you have to sit in a weigh station because the inspectors won't let you move your rig until you have them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just goes to show you many dealers are only interested in selling parts and accessories and making money rather than the safety and legality of their customers. We had a dealer install our hitch rails using the 4 bed bolts on the truck (not correct). BTW - as far as I know all states require the use of safety chains when using a gooseneck or bumper ball hitch. Also wanted to mention what some folks I know do is to leave the hitch attached to the kingpin if the need the truck bed. All you have to do is pull the 4 pins from the rail and then raise up the 5er and then pull the truck out. Reverse the process when hooking up.