sewer pipe connection leak

phranc

Whats the best way to seal a leak? I use a clear plastic elbow, when dumping, and attach the stinky slinky to that..Now the elbow has developed a leak apparently around the 'O'ring where it snaps onto the sewer pipe. Whats the best way to fix the leak ?? Do I grease the 'O'ring ? Replace the 'O'ring( what size and where from ?) or consider the clear elbow scrap and replace it ?
All suggestions welcome , no matter how offbeat !!:D

Forrest Fetherolf

phranc,

I would suggest removing the o-ring and apply wd-40 or silicone spray. Allow to soak in before reinstalling. The o-ring might soften up and slightly expand to make a proper seal. If you had the elbow connected for a long period the o-ring tends to shrink and stiffen. If not, I have no clue where to find a replacement o-ring. If you spend much time looking, you are better off trashing it and buying another.

Forrest

Forrest Fetherolf

phranc,
Hilltop Sales (866) 765-8333 has the 3" o-ring for $4.61 plus shipping = about $13.00. I would go to any store and buy the cheapest female sewer hose adapter and remove the o-ring. Some of these adapters cost $3.14, plus tax, drive time and gas..............
Forrest

jpmorgan37

phranc;

You might try soaking the o-ring in automatic transmission fluid overnight. Sometimes it does the trick..

John

HappyKayakers

Frank, Are you using the Camco or Valterra elbow? I tried several of the Camcos earlier this year and they all leaked. Valterra has worked great for me.

phranc

I don't remember the brand name ,just a purchase from Camping World a few years a go.. Looks like all the suggestions point towards removing the ring and soaking . I might give auto parts store ( Advance or Car Quest) a shot at this also..
Thanks all , I've got some good ideas

phranc

Just a update on the 'O' ring .......Got a chance to run down to the RV this AM,,,,,,Turns out the elbow is a Valterra brand and there is no 'O' ring. the rubber seal is a lip type seal that is glued in place . Most likely I would tear it up in the removeal process..But the real cause of the leak is that the elbow has only two ears on the twist lock .. When I hang the Macerator on the elbow it must put just enough pressure downward, using the ears as a fulcrum, compressing one side of the seal allowing the other side to leak..
Solution :: replace elbow with a four ear type.. Local repair/parts place had a Valterra Back Flush elbow .. Like the Flush King but without the slide valve..
Thanks all for the help...See you at the rally...