Parrots .... talk about noise!

RanCarr

We went camping for a week recently and this is the second time we crossed paths with parrot owning campers. Thank heavens we weren't camped near them because these are noisy screechy screaming birds. They make the most irritating noises and squawks. I'm sure not all parrots are screamers - but believe me, you don't want a campsite near those who are. They are every bit as aggravating as barking dogs. :eek:

loafer

We were in Maine last year and camped beside a 5 ver that was all set up with a large cage where the table and chairs were. Their truck was a crew cab with a cage built in the back where the back seat used to be. They said nobody else could care for them so they took them on the road with them . They were from Tennesee with their 2 large and very vocal parrots . They can live long lives so if you buy one your in it for the long haul. We only stayed 1 nite and moved on. They were quiet when the owners were with them. Different strokes for different folks as they say
Bill

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I rode in a car of a owner of 2 of them, it stunk so bad! I gagged so bad I almost throw up, and he never even phased him.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
PARROT OWNER HERE.
I agree with you that some species are noisier than others. Primarily Cockatoo's and Conures. Not sure what you were near, but I will tell you that not all parrots are like that. I have never met a parrot that was as annoying as many dogs,(or people)can be. We have two dogs, also.
I have a Blue Front Amazon female parrot that I have had for 30 years. She is not noisy. Parrots make some of the best life long pets there are, period.
Amazons live on the average of 50-75 years and are very loyal and clean. Some Amazons actually have lived to 100 years old.
Everyone who has met our's, ("Goodgirl") is totally amazed at how friendly and smart she is. She travels with us and we take her to rallys and such.
Average parrots have the IQ of a 5 year old child. Which is quite amazing in the animal world.
Finally, I will say pets mirror their owners in many cases. Just like many kids now days. If they are not taught properly, they don't know any better. Mine does not smell. It's not the parrot that smells, it's the cage the owner hasn't cleaned. So blame the owner, not the pet.

Also, heads up. You may want to avoid the beach areas of Southern California for camping, as well as tropical locales if you dislike parrots. There are flocks of literally thousands of wild parrots here in California, in certain areas. Personally, I enjoy them.

Have a good day, TraceIMG_0928.jpg

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Up until a year ago we traveled with a Blue & Gold macaw. What a character. He loved camping and surprisinly he was not as vocal on the road as he was at home.

During the summer, especially if windows were open and he could hear what was going on outside, he would get fairly loud. I swear, that if he ever squawked at full volume right next to my ear, my ears would bleed. It was amazing how much noise could come from that little guy.

I don't think I would want to be in a trailer next to a noisy bird trailer though. If you are not into birds even the quiet ones can be annoying. We like them though.

And the birds shouldn't smell, if they do they are most likely sick.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We camped with Trace, Teri and "goodgirl". She was funny but quite. No screeching ...just talked when you talked to her. She did like to ring the bell in her cage.

RanCarr

We were in Maine last year and camped beside a 5 ver that was all set up with a large cage where the table and chairs were. Their truck was a crew cab with a cage built in the back where the back seat used to be. They said nobody else could care for them so they took them on the road with them . They were from Tennesee with their 2 large and very vocal parrots . They can live long lives so if you buy one your in it for the long haul. We only stayed 1 nite and moved on. They were quiet when the owners were with them. Different strokes for different folks as they say
Bill

Nothing wrong with keeping parrots if that's you're thing.... it was the noise these large birds make! When they scream you can go 2' straight up into the air. Like I said, I wouldn't want to be camped near a site where someone has these birds.

RanCarr

PARROT OWNER HERE.

Also, heads up. You may want to avoid the beach areas of Southern California for camping, as well as tropical locales if you dislike parrots. There are flocks of literally thousands of wild parrots here in California, in certain areas. Personally, I enjoy them.

Have a good day, TraceView attachment 16203

It's not parrots that I dislike, it's the screaming and squawking and screeching some of them do. They're beautiful intelligent birds in my opinion, but with excellent hearing, the noise they make is awful and very irritating. That one campsite, every time we walked past it, I heard that parrot screaming.

RanCarr

I rode in a car of a owner of 2 of them, it stunk so bad! I gagged so bad I almost throw up, and he never even phased him.

If they stunk someone didn't clean their cage or maybe even their water cup. :eek: Disgusting but not the bird's fault.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It was not the birds fault. They or there cages were not even in the car. The car just stunk badly! But I could tell it was from the birds. I heard his house was bad also.

buckeyebob

its hard to beat a barking dog,left alone by a stupid camper!we had one bark for 4 hours straight and when we told the people about it when they returned they laughed and said "she does that"any dog can be trained,however people are a little more difficult!!loud music,parrots,barking dogs,rotten spoiled screaming kids,people who continnualy walk through your campsite,loud music(except country),bigwheels with the clicker installed,that stupid bass noise that the kids find so attractive now,WOW IM STARTING TO SOUND LIKE AN OLD PERSON!!!!HELP now i want to go camping!!buckeyebob

RanCarr

its hard to beat a barking dog,left alone by a stupid camper!we had one bark for 4 hours straight and when we told the people about it when they returned they laughed and said "she does that"any dog can be trained,however people are a little more difficult!!loud music,parrots,barking dogs,rotten spoiled screaming kids,people who continnualy walk through your campsite,loud music(except country),bigwheels with the clicker installed,that stupid bass noise that the kids find so attractive now,WOW IM STARTING TO SOUND LIKE AN OLD PERSON!!!!HELP now i want to go camping!!buckeyebob

I don't think finding loud noises, kids, music, dogs etc while camping annoying or irritating is age related. Even young people want to get away from it all and go camping. They want to enjoy the sounds of nature. Maybe sleep later on the weekends. Sit under the awning and watch the wildlife. Not all people live where free boondocking in isolated areas is possible. Those living on the east coast where it's really built up have no choice but to find campgrounds to make their escape from the usual rat race of their lives. :) When I was young and living in NYC, we'd get together with friends and head for a place called Fahnestock State Park to camp. It was always quiet there with large campsites. Bathrooms were primitive. There was lots of wildlife. For some reason people with children didn't camp there. Probably because there was nothing for kids to do there. No play areas with swings and jungle-gyms. It was heavily forested, there was a lake and it was quiet and peaceful. There were long walking trails. Lots of birdsong. It was the place we went to most often, even in the dead of winter. Our ages? We were all from 25 to 35 at the time. Our kids? We'd leave them home with family. It was a real break for us and a getaway we all needed living in a place like NYC. Time period? The 1970s.

Sandie

its hard to beat a barking dog,left alone by a stupid camper!we had one bark for 4 hours straight and when we told the people about it when they returned they laughed and said "she does that"any dog can be trained,however people are a little more difficult!!loud music,parrots,barking dogs,rotten spoiled screaming kids,people who continnualy walk through your campsite,loud music(except country),bigwheels with the clicker installed,that stupid bass noise that the kids find so attractive now,wow im starting to sound like an old person!!!!help now i want to go camping!!buckeyebob
hahahahaha....good one!