Bighorn 3800 rd powersupply issue

gomcalli

Hi all,

I have a question for all you pros out there.

What is the line voltage power supply to my trailer? Is it 120v or 240v?

Thanks in advance

G

branson4020

Icantre Member
For 50A service, the supply at the pedestal is 240V split-phase sevice. Exactly like what you would have at the electric range or electric water heater in your house, for instance. As Dave pointed out, your trailer uses each of the 120V hot legs separately. There is nothing in the trailer that requires 240V, although its available at the pedestal.

hoefler

You have 220 volts at the breaker panel as well when plugged into 50 amp service. You can install a double pole 220 breaker in the panel and have 220 volt circuit, but there is no reason for 220 in a RV as there is no appliances available to the RV market that requires 220.

branson4020

Icantre Member
You have 220 volts at the breaker panel as well when plugged into 50 amp service. You can install a double pole 220 breaker in the panel and have 220 volt circuit, but there is no reason for 220 in a RV as there is no appliances available to the RV market that requires 220.

Unless you want to carry an arc welder :cool:.

gomcalli

Wow I guess there is electrically inclined people on the forum (not me).

I guess to add to my question is about the ac input voltages to the pedastal. The reason for the enquiry is I normally have a 50 amp service that I plug into and the new location I have moved to is only 30 amp. I plugged in my EMS system at the new location and it read 240 v for each line. I normally read 120 when I was plugged in to the last place.

I don't know enough and I can't move right away so I have taken the side of caution and am running my genny until I am confident that I won't cook my electronics.

G

branson4020

Icantre Member
If that is a regular 30A, 3-wire RV outlet wired 240V, and you plug your rig into it using a 50A-30A adapter, you WILL fry a whole bunch of stuff in your rig. What brand EMS do you have? Are you in an RV Park? Is this a newly installed outlet?