RV cover

shelsay

Hi All--

We have been considering purchase of a RV cover for our Grand Canyon. Living on the central Oregon coast, our winters are relatively mild, but we do have lots of rain and strong winds. We are wondering if we should be concerned about possible damage to our full-body paint from one of these covers. What experiences to you have pro and con with RV covers?

Thanks for the info.

Pat

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
My experience has not been good !! We have wind where we keep the 5er though the winters here in NY. The sides looked great nice and clean just like the day we covered . Our issue was the cover shucked enough that the rubber roof was worn some on the edges the first year . The second year I used ropes to go over the unit in 3 locations also used pipe insulation wrap for where the rope was making the most contact to not harm the 5er . I found more damage to the rubber roof the 2nd year. We cover the wheels the tri glide and AC and we give it a good scrub in the spring !! Plus we add 3/4 pipe insulators to the refrigerator vents keeps the snow out .

RollingHome

After doing some "RV Cover" research for my brother in law I have found too many folks stating RV covers cause serious chaffing. I would not recommend using a RV cover due to damage reported by actual users. Maybe a user who has had success will debate this but I would not use one. How about a garage TEK Supply sells these and they are not super expensive IF you have the room and your town allows them.

Sandpirate69

Your absolutely correct, I beg to differ on your post. I have used an ADCO Cover for over 5 years and it's been the best investment for me. I have not had any issues with the roof edge rubbing or wearing out. Now, I live in Florida. We do get plenty of rain, but wind is very mild. My cover fits snug and doesn't flair in the wind. I also keep it real tight. I could see if you have high winds how such rubbing would cause the problems you have stated in your post. But if that's the case you could always get a custom fit cover & for sure you wouldn't get that the flair on the side causing the rub on the roof edge.

Just my 2 cents.

Ivan

Duramax1

My experience has not been good !! We have wind where we keep the 5er though the winters here in NY. The sides looked great nice and clean just like the day we covered . Our issue was the cover shucked enough that the rubber roof was worn some on the edges the first year . The second year I used ropes to go over the unit in 3 locations also used pipe insulation wrap for where the rope was making the most contact to not harm the 5er . I found more damage to the rubber roof the 2nd year. We cover the wheels the tri glide and AC and we give it a good scrub in the spring !! Plus we add 3/4 pipe insulators to the refrigerator vents keeps the snow out .

I also have Sundance 2900MK so I am very interested in your experience with using a cover and the wear on the sides of the roof.

What brand cover were you using which caused this damage?

Thanks

gebills

While fumbling through the depth of topics, i stumbled onto this topic because of the concern I expect that most people have after having invested the volume of funds it takes to get into an RV. We also are in the NW area where rain is a way of life. My concern is both the rain that we get in the Seattle area, and the sun fade that a coach will experience through the years. I've not heard anyone comment previously about wear on the rubber roof material from the cover movement in the wind, but can easily understand how it could happen with the whipping of the canvas material moving around. This comment has certainly put pause in my intention of putting on the cover this spring. Maybe RollingHome has the better approach in constructing a shell/housing type garage if you will, to protect from the elements. In the short term, i.e. this summer, I think I'm going to seek out covered storage until I can take the time to figure this storage issue out. Sure appreciate the topic, as others experiences tend to save us money foolishly spent. thanx, gbills

Manzan

Gebills, I live in West Seattle and am using the cover I had on our last trailer. It fits snugly when the straps are tightened up. Trailer is somewhat protected from the biggest winds. No sign of wear on the old trailer when we traded it in last March. I know some have had lots of wear on the roof edges.