Bussing noise

mike

Mike
In my 06 3655RD I have had an annoying noise (buzzing) almost since i bought it in 11/05. Dealer kept saying that it was the converter and that it was going to do that. I called Progressive last week and they sent me a new one to replace it with. This week end when i was trying to get to it to replace i realized that it was not the converter making the noise but instead this unit has generator prep and has installed in it and automatic generator transfer switch. This was were the noise was coming from, nothing was hot to the touch but was a constant buzzing noise but when I put pressure on one of the switches it would stop, Wound up putting a wedge between the switch and the side of the electrical box they were mounting in.. Can some tell me why this transfer switch is buzzing? Also can some tell me why the converter and transfer switch are mounted in an area that you would have to take the 5er apart to get to??

Scott

I talked with someone about this and this is what he said, "Unless the transfer switch has DC contactors they will all make this noise
at some point in there life. I am not sure what brand this is, but I suspect it has AC contactors. The only thing that will cure this is to replace the transfer switch." There was an insinuation that the Gen. prep was meant to someday be hooked up to a generator. If it is not going to be hooked up to a generator, he said that it could be disconnected. As for it's location, transfer switches only have so many places to go where they are not in the middle of the storage area. Most people like them hidden away.
ST

mike

Mike
Thanks for the response Scott, It just seamed to me that the converter and transfer switch could have been mounted in the front bay area instead of under to tolet room..

Pulltab

mike said:
Thanks for the response Scott, It just seamed to me that the converter and transfer switch could have been mounted in the front bay area instead of under to tolet room..

Front bay is probably not a good option as I am assuming your power comes in the rear of the trailer. Depending on where your breaker panel is they probably tried to locate it near it.