Converter blowing fuses

We have a 2010 Big Country. We have had the converter replaced once already and having trouble with the second one now. Our batteries are not holding charge, we have blown 5 fuses this week alone and when fuses are pulled out they are hot to the touch. We have the Progressive 9200 series. I have read that the warranty is up 2 years after date of purchase and are now out of the warranty date. We did purchase the extended warranty tho. We are wondering if there is an under lying problem, since this is the second one we have had in 2 1/2 years. Any ideas would be greatly helpful and appreciated! Thanks!

S & K Jones

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is to ask if your battery or batteries are hooked up correctly. Is the polarity correct? Are your batteries or battery good?
Just some thoughts

Peace
Dave

Yes, I am sorry I meant to say it has 2 brand new batteries in it. And yes they are all hooked up correctly. It was blowing fuses before we put new batteries in it and still after.

The only thing I can think of is to ask if your battery or batteries are hooked up correctly. Is the polarity correct? Are your batteries or battery good?
Just some thoughts

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I would first get your batteries checked out. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. With the batteries disconnected, and AC power to the trailer, I would make sure all 12 volt DC electrical loads are off, and measure the current out of the convertor with a clamp on ammeter.This should be 0. If not there might be a short in the wiring.
Most common problem is a shorted cell in a battery.
BTW, do you know if the batteries get hot (or are swollen) when the fuse blowing happens?

Bill, We bought new batteries last week thinking they were the issue the old batteries did test bad however these are now brand new and test good. It has been blowing fuses off and on since we bought our unit. The converter was replaced once already due to this and we didn't blow any fuses for about 8 months and now we are back to blowing them on a fairly new converter. The converter itself does get hot also. Input and output voltage to converter is good, batteries are good...thinking it COULD be bad converter...the fan does not kick on. This is all we can think.

I would first get your batteries checked out. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. With the batteries disconnected, and AC power to the trailer, I would make sure all 12 volt DC electrical loads are off, and measure the current out of the convertor with a clamp on ammeter.This should be 0. If not there might be a short in the wiring.
Most common problem is a shorted cell in a battery.
BTW, do you know if the batteries get hot (or are swollen) when the fuse blowing happens?

branson4020

Icantre Member
If your converter is hot, its almost certainly a partial short somewhere. The converter will only get hot if its putting out it maximum amps for a sustained period. As previously posted , check its output with a clamp-on ammeter, both with the batteies connected and disconnected.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When you say the fan is not coming on, are you actually looking at it or just trying hear it? I cannot hear mine running. If the fan is not coming on and the converter is getting hot, then there's something wrong with the converter. Try contacting Progressive Dynamics, if you haven't already. Here's some troubleshooting info from their site.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/troubleshooting_pwr_con.html

Miller0758

Perhaps you can disconnect the loads from the converter and hook one up at a time until you find the circuit that's causing the overload. However, if you disconnect the loads and the problem continues with the loads disconnected, I would say there's a problem with the converter. As will troubleshooting all electrical circuits, you must eliminate the potential and go from there.