ATF: Big Country - How Watertight should my Bic Country RV Be?

freddial

Hi. I have a new 2011 Big Country 3450TS. Just had a night of rain at Pismo Beach and I'm finding a small drip at the inner side of the Bedroom slide. I see that the weatherseals along the slide are not consistently even along the sides. i.e. partly turned outward and partly turned inward. Should the weatherseals be pointed outward all along the edge and along the top? Is there anything I can do to ensure that it is properly weathersealed when I open the slides?

jimtoo

Hi freddial,

The weather seals should all be turned towards the outside on the top and sides. Normally they will turn correctly themselves. Do not clean and use a lub on them, that will make them to slick to work. Once in a while the seals need a little help from us.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use an awning rod (an extra left over from our TT) to flip the sections of the seals that don't fully deploy when extending the slides. For the top of the slides, I have to use my extension ladder since I have slide toppers. Although the toppers cover the slide, I do it anyways for extra protection. Gently insert the end under the seal and run it along giving a little tug where needed. Most of the seal flips out without too much coaxing.

Some folks have posted about sticking pieces of automotive trim on the slides in a chevron pattern to help flip the seals in and out, too. Since we're primarily on a seasonal site and leave the slides out all summer, I haven't found a need to go to that.

If you have really large gaps between the slide surfaces and the seals, the slide may be out of adjustment.

aatauses

I will also respond, as I also had a leak along the bedroom slide and this may??? be your issue. If you check the bottom of the slide you will see a piece of angle that wraps around the corner. I had water running down the outside of the slide, hitting the top of the angle, running the length of it toward the bedroom, and dripping inside. I recaulked the top of the angle and right before it went into the rubber slide I put a small 'dam" of caulk to force water to drip outside before entering the bedroom.
al

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
All great information for you. One more minor thing to check. Make sure the top slide seal overlaps the seals on the side of the slide out.

freddial

Hey, thanks for all the great advice. This was a very minor drip: I wouldn't consider it a "leak" but the "boss" wanted me to fix it! Sounds like I could do a little to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks, everybody.

Fred