Storage door leaks.

jswelser

I have rain water entering the storage areas. The doors are not seating against the rubber gasket in the storage opening. Has anyone else had this problem? What would be the best way to fix this problem? I don't believe the doors can be adjusted.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
jswelser, what trailer do you have? I know some of the older units have a twist latch that can be bent to tighten the door against the gasket but if you have the slam doors, hopefully someone knows of an adjustment. There has to be a way.

twohappycampers

Take a closer look. The two metal things on the bottom seem adjustable, just with loosening up a screw, moving the metal thing forwards or backwards as needed, and then tightening up. I'm still waiting for Doug to try that. One side of the door isn't sitting flush with the side of the trailer, while the other one is. Hope it's as easy as it looks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As stated above, if they are not the slam doors. You can bend the tabs on the twist locks to make the doors fit tighter. If you dont push on the doors when closing them the tabs will bend and the door will become loose again. The tabs are not made of good hard metal. Removing the washers behind the tabs will not make any improvement. Look at the frame behind the rubber seal. If it is bent in, take a rubber hammer and carefully beat it out. All this stuff is made of soft metal, so it becomes a maintance item to keep up with. Welcome to RVing.

RuralPastor

I had the same problem on my storage doors. Easily solved by cutting some 3/16" plastic tubing (outside diameter) and placing it behind the rubber gasket. This tubing pushes the gasket firmly against the door. Five minute repair. It doesn't need to be attached in any way whatsoever. I've traveled over 10,000 miles since then, through heavy rain, not one drop of water. The tubing I used was from an oxygen supply line that my in-laws used for their concentrator. I placed one continuous length from about half-way up one side, all across the top, and half-way down the other side. I also caulked the screw heads that hold the trim molding on the bottom. Don't think it was even leaking there, anyway. Hope this helps you. Mark

Greetings,

I am a new member. We met John and Deb Bylinski at the Pennsylvania Rally who encouraged us to join. Great forum.
We look forward to our membership and being the resource for any RV applications that require lifts.
Great forum!

Hatchman1

Last edited by a moderator: