flashing LP

Bobby A

We are in transit to our Fl. location, the 1st day after travel while setting up camp I noticed the fridg. was flashing LP in the display, I shut it off then turned it back on and the digital read out displayed the temp and all seemed fine. The second day after we stopped, just the temp reading as usual. Now after stopping on the 3rd stop the LP was flashing again. We have never had this issue before while traveling.The propane tank reads green so I don't think its a low or no propane isssue. Any suggestions ?? Its the RM 3962 Fridg.
Thanks in advance,
Bobby A

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Could it be possible the LP burner is getting blown out while traveling? It won't relight itself, it just shows the error by flashing.

hoefler

Also try it on the other tank. Does the stove work properly?? If you have low gas pressure, it would also create this scenario.

danemayer

I had the flashing LP indicator one time after changing tanks. There was air in the line that had to be purged. After the stovetop finally lit and burned for a few seconds, the refrigerator worked.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I always light a range burner for a few seconds before switching the refridgerator from electric to gas. Otherwise air in the lines will cause the flashing LP signal over 50% of the time. (your percentage may vary)

Bobby A

Thanks guys,
All good information, we just stopped after 300 miles and again the LP light was flashing. I guess its possible the wind while traveling blows the burner out. After we set up camp I turned the switch from auto to LP for a few minutes and it works fine, I then switched back to electric since I'm paying for it in site fees. I will try to switch tanks before we head out again on Sunday morning and see what happens then. I guess its also possible that there is air in the line I guess, but the stove works fine.

Ray, could it be possible that by removing that thermo switch to run the fan 24/7 could have anything to do with this issue ?? I wouldn't think so, but figured I would throw it out there to see what you all think.
Thanks guys we will keep on this and get to the bottom of it one way or the other. Any more suggestions are completely welcome.
Bobby

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It I remember correctly if the LP is flashing on your frig, it means that the LP is either too low or out all together. Make sure you check to make sure your tanks are both on.

Willym

Dometic manual states either low gas, air in gas line, dirty burner, clogged gas jet, improper insertion of flue baffle in flue tube, or incorrect gas pressure. If your gas supply is good and has no air in it, then it may be worth taking off the cover over the burner (2 screws) Look at the flame (should be blue and even) and look for looseness of the burner assembly, thermocouple etc. A component could be shifting in travel. The thermocouple senses the flame and if it doesn't detect it, it will lock out the gas supply. I've never had a problem with a flame blowing out while travelling - it's well shielded.

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks guys,
All good information, we just stopped after 300 miles and again the LP light was flashing. I guess its possible the wind while traveling blows the burner out. After we set up camp I turned the switch from auto to LP for a few minutes and it works fine, I then switched back to electric since I'm paying for it in site fees. I will try to switch tanks before we head out again on Sunday morning and see what happens then. I guess its also possible that there is air in the line I guess, but the stove works fine.

Ray, could it be possible that by removing that thermo switch to run the fan 24/7 could have anything to do with this issue ?? I wouldn't think so, but figured I would throw it out there to see what you all think.
Thanks guys we will keep on this and get to the bottom of it one way or the other. Any more suggestions are completely welcome.
Bobby
No, I doubt that would have any effect on the burner. I suggest you make sure all of the shields are in place around the burner area. Another thing to consider, depending on how far you travel in a day, just turn off the fridge until you get to your next stop.
Has this been a problem in the past or did it just recently start doing this? Has anything been worked on back there? I don't know but there may be an adjustment for the burner. A tech would know for sure. Good Luck Bobby.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You might have a problem with the regulator. It is possible to have enough pressure for the stove to operate and not enough for the fridge.

Bobby A

No, I doubt that would have any effect on the burner. I suggest you make sure all of the shields are in place around the burner area. Another thing to consider, depending on how far you travel in a day, just turn off the fridge until you get to your next stop.
Has this been a problem in the past or did it just recently start doing this? Has anything been worked on back there? I don't know but there may be an adjustment for the burner. A tech would know for sure. Good Luck Bobby.

Thanks again guys, all good information,
I will switch tanks tomorrow when we leave, I know my other tank is a full one. Ray, the only thing that was worked on was removing the thermo switch and installed a fuse to run the fan all the time. We only drive 300 miles a day so I guess I could just turn off the fridg until we stop for the day. I just would like to get to the bottom of this because it has never done that in the past. I will look at the burner today and see if any parts are loose.
Thanks again everyone

hoefler

Is your fridge in the slide?? Check the gas line underneath, is it kinking when the slide is in??

Ray LeTourneau

Is your fridge in the slide?? Check the gas line underneath, is it kinking when the slide is in??
I hadn't thought of that but Bobby mentioned it had not been happening till recently. Pretty strange. Maybe a valve on an LP bottle needs to be reset? I think we've covered all the bases now...

Bobby A

Got an up date for you guys.
O.k. so I did switch tanks ( I know it was full), drove about a 100 plus miles and stopped and checked the fridg, the LP was flashing on the panel. So I decided to put the switch from auto to LP and drove another 100 plus miles and wouldn't ya know it, when I checked it, it was reading the temp like it suppose to do. So when we arrived at our campgrounds for the evening I simulated a power outage by putting the fridg back on auto and then shut the breaker off at the pedistal and it switched from auto to LP without any problems, I left it like that for about a half hour to see if it would start flashing LP but it did not. So I'am still puzzled by this, what am I missing here ?? this is the first time its ever done this, any suggestions ??
Thanks guys,

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bobby, Since you have the same rig as me, I will mention this. When I took it in for service recently the tech noticed my gas line was kinking when the slide was in. He asked me if my refer when out when driving. I said no. He pointed out how badly it was kinked and said he was surprised it was getting enough gas in transit to stay lit. They ordered me another one because he said once that hard rubber kinks it is never the same. You might check yours when the slide is in. Trace

Bobby A

Bobby, Since you have the same rig as me, I will mention this. When I took it in for service recently the tech noticed my gas line was kinking when the slide was in. He asked me if my refer when out when driving. I said no. He pointed out how badly it was kinked and said he was surprised it was getting enough gas in transit to stay lit. They ordered me another one because he said once that hard rubber kinks it is never the same. You might check yours when the slide is in. Trace

Thanks for that info TANDT, I will check tomorrow for kinks, but don't ya think if it was a kink it would not of stayed burning when I switched from auto to LP and drove over 100 miles ??

57chevyconvt

Sounds like your problem could possibly be the kinked rubber hose. As a side note, there is a little spider that like the smell of LP and will build a nest in the burner tube. Just blowing air in the burner will not remove the spider wed, use a nylon tie-wrap and insert into the burner tube to remove the spider's web. A close inspection of the burner section from time to time is adviseable, some the flying critters, i.e. wasp like to build nest in this area. If you need a picture of the burner area, I think I have one in my refrig picture file.