Winter covers for refrigerator vents

Yellowreef

Just got around to reading the refrigerator manual and it says to use the winter covers below a certain temp. Did anone's Edge come with these? Did I get jipped or is this something I need to buy separately?

Zeman

Neither told about nor seen such covers. Did a quick search for them-------everything is in the UK......

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Never heard of a winter cover for fridge vents. May have to actually read the manual.

57chevyconvt

Never heard nor seen such a cover, but I have being giving serious thought to designing and fabricating such a cover for the vent to prevent wasp, spiders, and other flying insects that build net in and around the refrig components. Such a cover would have to be sealed with some foam weather stripping to prevent these little critters from gaining access to this area of the RV. I have some ideas in mind for attachment that would make it easy for installation and removal. The proto-type is on the drawing board at this time, hope to have something for viewing in the next few weeks.

Jim

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Jim... They make prefab screens for the refrigerator vents (they are a little pricey), I made my own out of aluminum screen. Pretty easy project, keeps out the dirt daubbers but allow the needed air to enter. Good luck, post a photo when your done.

57chevyconvt

Bret,
Where did you locate the prefabricate screen or cover. I have been searching RV stores, but knowing me I probably was searching with a unknown description.
I will post some picture of my gadget in a few weeks. How about posting a picture of your covery screen. The gadget that I have in mind is a solid sheet of LEXAN. Does the area around the refrig need to breath? If so I will need to drill some small holes for air exchange.
Jim

danemayer

We spent 5 weeks in the Colorado mountains last January and February with temps down to 30 below. There were a couple of dozen RVs and no one had the vents/louvers covered or blocked. That said, if you want to close the vents while in storage, I'm pretty sure pipe insulation cut to length will fit nicely and come out easily.

Yellowreef

Forgot to mention, it reccomends the use at or under 8 degrees celcius/ 46 farenheit. The reason Im inquiring is because I will be camping at temperatures well under that in about a month and was wondering if anyone could give insight into that. It will probably be lows in the teens farenheit.

GOTTOYS

It got into the 40's almost every night in the Texas Hill Country last Feb. Some nights it was in the teens when we first got there. Never had any problems with the fridge. Didn't see anybody cover theirs either. Covering the vents when it's in the 40's? I wouldn't waste my time...Don