A/c fuse keeps blowing

MaYoKy

we are new RVers and its the third day we are living in it, last night I heard the heater coming on, in the morning it was very cold and when I checked it, we had a blown fuse, we put in a new fuse 3 times and it keeps blowing fuses as soon as we hook up to electricity again, what are we doing wrong or what else could it be? everything worked fine yesterday all day long!

wdk450

MaYoKy:
First of all the Air Conditioning and the Furnace (heating) are 2 seperate systems, with only the thermostat being the major common component. There is some Furnace interface in the AC control circuit board.
The furnace runs on 12 volts DC, that is why you will find its wiring protection on the 12 volt DC fuse panel, instead of the 110 Volt AC circuit breaker panel. RV manufacturers want the furnace to be able to heat you up, even if you are not connected to AC power.
Now some questions. When you replace the fuse for the furnace, is the thermostat turned OFF? If this hasn't been the case try that first. If the fuse still blows without turning the thermostat to furnace, you have some sort of a wiring short in the power wiring to the furnace. If the fuse only blows when heating is called for from the thermostat, you might have a motor short in the furnace, which seems to be something I have heard of being common on these RV forums.
If the only thing that has changed since yesterday is the fact that the furnace ran some, I think your furnace needs troubleshooting. Is your rig new and under warranty??
Good luck!!!

MaYoKy

yes it was set on off and the fuse keeps blowing, we event disconnected from battery and electricity plug in and as soon as electricity is turned back on the fuse blows.. I guess we will have to make arrangements to go visit a shop, we do have a 5 year warranty so it won't cost us anything. Its just really crapy since we are on a business trip first our car broke now we are waiting to get the car fixed and now have a short in the rig somewhere.... :mad: the fuses blow by the way immediately as soon as electricity comes on, the thermostat was still kept off and it happened... so I guess you are right and we do have a short... frustrating weekend... and i can't believe this happens on day number 3 of having the truck and the camper... UGH

wdk450

MaYoKy:
From my years of experience in equipment maintenece, I can only say that the inverted bell curve model for equipment problems seems pretty accurate. Your problems are frequent at the beginning, taper off to a low level over the years, then gradually start climbing from equipment use and aging. Hang in there!!! The beginning of the bellcurve is a good argument for extensive burn-in testing before releasing for use.

yes it was set on off and the fuse keeps blowing, we event disconnected from battery and electricity plug in and as soon as electricity is turned back on the fuse blows.. I guess we will have to make arrangements to go visit a shop, we do have a 5 year warranty so it won't cost us anything. Its just really crapy since we are on a business trip first our car broke now we are waiting to get the car fixed and now have a short in the rig somewhere.... :mad: the fuses blow by the way immediately as soon as electricity comes on, the thermostat was still kept off and it happened... so I guess you are right and we do have a short... frustrating weekend... and i can't believe this happens on day number 3 of having the truck and the camper... UGH

MaYoKy

thanks so much for you encouraging words :) Im sure we will get this worked out! Calling shop first thing in the morning!

MaYoKy

so we got the a/c to work and the fuse to not blow, then when i turned on the kitchen lights (both) it blew again the a/c fuse... really strange, is this a wiring issue? or is it a possibility because we are plugged into a 30amp site with 30 a to 50 a adapter.... I'm wondering

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is possible to have an electrical problem in the pedestal. If possible trouble shoot the pedestal for like an open ground or hot wire to ground. The park should be able to check that for you.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
My 2 cents is that it's a low voltage issue from either the adapter or the power supply at the pedestal. Try running your hot water heater on propane, not electric and make sure you have a limited amount of items running off of electricity. IE no hairdryer, microwave, etc. We've never been able to run micro and water heater on 30 amps without flipping a breaker. You may still have some voltage issues and dragging fan motor can cause it, so I'd get it looked at asap.

MaYoKy

My 2 cents is that it's a low voltage issue from either the adapter or the power supply at the pedestal. Try running your hot water heater on propane, not electric and make sure you have a limited amount of items running off of electricity. IE no hairdryer, microwave, etc. We've never been able to run micro and water heater on 30 amps without flipping a breaker. You may still have some voltage issues and dragging fan motor can cause it, so I'd get it looked at asap.

thanks for advice, yes i hope to get it in the shop hopefully by the end of this week... (if they have a free slot) but first of all we have to get the truck fixed to even be able to pull out from here... LOL

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Why not have a mobile RV repair dude look at it. Then he can repair it where you are. Most accept the warranty.

MaYoKy

Why not have a mobile RV repair dude look at it. Then he can repair it where you are. Most accept the warranty.

I didn't know that was an option i thought we could only go to Heartland SHops.... will see if i can find something, we stranded pretty much in the middle of nowhere when the truck broke down and where lucky to find this campground :) I will check into this too!

olcoon

One thing I might about the mobile rv guy. You might get it OK'd by Heartland first, or they may not cover it. Explain your problem, & give them a sad story. They might even have one they've used in the past in the area.

MaYoKy

One thing I might about the mobile rv guy. You might get it OK'd by Heartland first, or they may not cover it. Explain your problem, & give them a sad story. They might even have one they've used in the past in the area.

that is a good idea, and I believe they will understand our situation...

l5landa

5yrs and counting
I have a similar problem with my Northcountry, everytime I turn on the microwave the AC fuse trips. And the fuse panel is hot to the touch. Has anyone found what the cause is? I too am a new Rver, and it's frustrating when you are out in new territory and something goes wrong ( all part of the adventure I presume).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello I5landa and welcome to the forum.
If you only trip a breaker when you use the microwave then I suspect there is a problem with the microwave. Try and unplug the microwave and use a good appliance type extension cord and plug it in somewhere else. See if the circuit breaker for that circuit trips.
How old is your rig? Is it still under warranty? What brand is the microwave?

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
MaYoKy, sounds to me like you are trying to draw too many amps on a 30amp service. Any electric motor is a DEAD SHORT when it tries to start spining. A low voltage draw at an electric motor will draw alot of amps and blow a fuse every time. We cannot run our microwave and the electric water heater at the same time on 30amps.

wdk450

Regarding the Mobile Repair Service and Heartland Warranty:
First of all ONE OF THE GREAT THINGS ABOUT OWNING A HEARTLAND PRODUCT is that you can have your warranty work done by any RV servicer you choose!!! You DO need to call Heartland Service IN Advance of the service being done.
Most mobile RV servicers charge a fee for coming to your site. Heartland will NOT cover this. Also, whether or not a servicer will not charge you and just deal with Heartland Warranty Service is up to them. You MAY have to pay up front for the service and be reembursed by Heartland if the vendor so chooses.