broken side trim that goes around slide inside.

rick_debbie_gallant

Does anyone know how to repair the faux maple or oak trip that goes around the slide perimeter on the inside. A good size chunk of mine broke off when a chair shifted. It is some sort of a polystyrene or something and is pretty brittle. I may just have to put the real deal in.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Does anyone know how to repair the faux maple or oak trip that goes around the slide perimeter on the inside. A good size chunk of mine broke off when a chair shifted. It is some sort of a polystyrene or something and is pretty brittle. I may just have to put the real deal in.

I would call HL to see if they can send you a replacement. Otherwise, without seeing how it broke, it would be hard to say whether you could glue it back and have it look decent.

Westwind

Had the same thing happen to my new Bighorn, it caught on one of the recliners when I was opening the slide, next time I will make sure I have the chair's positioned correctly. I used cauking compound and finish nails (thin and long). After I fitted the two pieces together you didn't know it was broken, I coated the back of the piece of trim with the caulking and held it in place with the nails. Can't tell It was broken. Might need a little stain to hide the split. Can't notice the break.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's a clean break and looks like it can be fit back together, you could try gluing it with a Gorilla glue http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/glue-guide.aspx

Be careful not to use too much since it does expand and it will need to be clamped until the glue cures. You might be able to use C-clamps or quick clamps if you can get them in position, or a copious amount of Gorilla tape.

Westwind

It's a foam so be careful about putting pressure on it, you will probably leave an imprint or dent on it. The Gorilla Glue or some type of adhesive to hold it in place. Don't know if I would put it on that joins the other broken piece. I used a air compressor and pin nailer with about a 1 1/2 nail ( I think). If my memory is correct it fit against plywood so I measured the thickness of the moulding and plywood to be sure I didn't nail right through the side of the trailer with the air nailer.
It came out real good and like I said in the previous post you can't even tell it broke off.

MC9

I had a problem with ours I think it was water intrusion. I was in the neighborhood and stopped into Heartland. They put on a new piece from top to bottom and tacked it with a few brads. Be careful with glue, it becomes a kind of permanent mess.

DougS

Doug S
Caught our siding on a chair and we had a clean break. Some wood glue, and you would not know it happened, lucked out. After a year, it's still holding.