Generator questions

olcoon

I'm thinking about getting 2 Honda 2000 generators. I realize that I'll have to get the kit to hook them together, & that one of them will have to be the companion. Will I have to do anything special to the 5er to use them, or just hook up the shore power plug, start them & away we go? The rig isn't prepped for a generator. Also, the companion is the only one that has a 30 amp plug, could I just use that one & not have the AC running? If not, is there a way to connect the coach to the generator, without having to plug in to the 2 120 volt plug in's on the generator?

bighorn3370

I'm not sure how Honda has the 30 amp plug wired. It may or may not work. If it doesn't, you will just use 20-30 amp adapter. I hope this helps. Ernie

danemayer

This thread might be helpful. It may not be your exact situation, but you might find useful info.

Willym

I have 2 Honda 2000's (they pre-date the Companion models, and are just regular EU2000's), but rarely run them in parallel. I connect a single 2000 to the trailer using the 50 to 30 dogbone adaptor and then use a 30 to 15 adapter plugged into the Honda. If I run them in parallel, I use my own parallel kit which is two 15 amp plugs feeding a 30 amp receptacle. It's definitely not code, but I consider the shock risk minimal and accept it.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Olcoon... I have the (2) 2000's like you are considering and you can... Plug your trailer cord into either one and use them seperately for most everything or you can plug into the companion when running the 2 simultaneously in parallel for A/C and such. You will need the 20-30 amp adapter for the 2000i and you will need the 30 amp twistlock adapter for the 2000 companion. Be sure to read the Honda manuals closely as they describe when you can use eco mode and not. They are great and I couldn't be happier. You can search e-bay and get both with the parallel kit, dc charger cables and the twist lock adapter for under $2,000 no tax and no shipping. You might try Harbor Sports in Michigan, that is where I got mine. They will also put oil in them and test them before shipping if you desire.
On another note... Both Costco and Sams club have the same set ups (chinese knock offs) made by champion for about $480 each, quite a savings but probably not the quality. Good luck and let us now what you decide.
P1010220.JPGP1010214.JPG

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You may also check Camperworld they have a 4000 watt Champion generator that comes with a 30 amp RV plug. I have one and it works great, it will run one a/c plus tv and lights. It will run my Porter Cable air copressor too, [by it's self] I sure like it not as quiet as the Honda, but quiet.
Larry and Donna Keever
Oklahoma City, Ok

pegmikef

Olcoon, I too have the generators you are describing. As was already said you can run either generator with the correct adapter, but the companion is the only one that comes with the 30 amp plug. I normally only run them both when I need the A/C (quite a bit here in Texas in the summer), but in the cooler climates I usually run one to charge the batteries and have the 120 volt conveniences like TV, electric coffee pot, etc. I personally like to try to keep the running time pretty close to the same on each of them so I will switch back and forth . . . that way I can perform maintenance on them at abut the same intervals. Most Walmarts have about every type of adapter cords/plugs you would need. I forget the name of the place I got mine, but they were about 1800 dollars plus another fifty for the cables to hook them together and that included the battery charge cables. I just googled them and then had a couple of places email me their price. No tax and no shipping charge.

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 89
  • companion.jpg
    companion.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 80

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Mike... Like the red tape on the front of the generators, I can't tell you how many times I have had to find my glasses to make sure I'm hooking them up correctly. I've tried to just remember Red Right but then I second guess myself and double check. Good idea. Thanks

olcoon

Thanks everyone for the replys! Every one helped, and helped to fill in the huge gaps of my knowledge! As you might have guessed, my nick name ain't "Sprarky"! One more question, is there some type of adaptor, or some way to plug into the 2 120 volt plug ins to get 30 amps on the non companion generator? I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 2 Hondas, as I'm planning on cleaning out the tool box in the bed of my truck to put them in. My thinking is "out of sight, out of mind", plus they'll be locked up when not using them.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Roy... Each generator is rated at 13.3 amps so both running in parallel is 26.6 amps. I have never heard or seen anything that would indicate a way to plug the trailer into 2 outlets at once. We typically will plug into the 2000i for "normal" (not using the A/C) and typically in eco mode (1/4 power) and when we need the A/C we hook the 2 together and plug the trailer into the companion. I do actually try to switch back and forth between the 2 for normal use as it equalizes wear and tear, less refueling and doing routine maintenance on both at the same time. After you use them a few times, you will find what's best for you. I think you will be happy with them, they are very efficient and quiet. With gas and oil filled they are about 55 pounds each, so they are pretty easy to move around. Good Luck!

pegmikef

Mike... Like the red tape on the front of the generators, I can't tell you how many times I have had to find my glasses to make sure I'm hooking them up correctly. I've tried to just remember Red Right but then I second guess myself and double check. Good idea. Thanks

That was the first thing I did because I was sure I would screw them up somehow. I was really sujrprised that Honda didn't mark them by color or a simple + and - sign.

olcoon

Thank's for the info, I feel like now I can make a more informed decision on what to buy, and how to use the generators.

sjs731

Does anyone have dual 2000 watt Yamaha generators? Is there an advantage to running a 2000w parallel system rather than a 3000w system. Obviously weight and size are a consideration. I have read good reviews for both Honda and Yamaha.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
does anyone have dual 2000 watt yamaha generators? Is there an advantage to running a 2000w parallel system rather than a 3000w system. Obviously weight and size are a consideration. I have read good reviews for both honda and yamaha.

you can pick up and handle the 2000 size and can't the 3000 size. That is the biggest issue to me. Get a honda, you can't beat it, for quality. Make or install the marine fuel tank fuel system and it will run them all night.

Firerad1

DougS, what brand and model Inverter are you running, and how many batteries feed it?
I like my little Hondas! They sip very little fuel. I'm trying to size the number of batteries and come up with a good match in an inverter/charger that will provide a good boondock rig.

Thanks,

DougS

Doug S
Daryl,
I have a Xantrex, PROwatt SW 2,000. This unit has a receptacle to plug into instead of hard wired. They call this unit a "True Wave" which I found out is the same as a "Pure Wave". I wired my unit different then most, everything has electric when turned on, but no high uses of electric can be used like AC, electric water, converter is shut off (80 amps in my unit) and refrig off electric. I just use two 12 volt batteries. Hours worth of charge with a 15 amp. charger in the AM and ready to go.

Firerad1

Thanks DougS,

I'll check it out. Your system sounds perfect for those lighter needs, and the Hondas will work well morning and everning when we catch the news on TV, brew coffee and run the microwave, or need the A/C.

Thanks Again,

DougS

Doug S
Watch CW Internet sales, that's were I got mine. I even caught a $5 shipping sales. PM if you like.

porthole

Retired
Too bad the Honda 3000UI is so heavy (130 pounds). It is a much better choice if workable for you. It is a bit quieter then the 2K models with no load and a lot quieter with a load. Big gas tank and only one engine to maintain. Electric start too, but it is a Honda and the electric start isn't really needed.

If you were thinking extended use, the 3000 might be a better choice.