Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
1 recipe Pastry for Single Crust Pie
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples (granny smith)
1 recipe Crumb Topping
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup cramel ice-cream topping

crumb topping- stir together 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup quik oats; cut in 1/2 cup butter.

Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9 inch plate being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.

In a large mixing bowl stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss till coated.
Transfer apple misture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle Crumb Topping over apple mixture.

To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Remove from oven.

Sprinkle pie with pecans, then drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.

GETnBYE

I have to say along with the pecan pie, they were the best pies I have ever had. And I heard that phrase from everyone that I saw trying Donna's pies.:D She sure feed us some great food. Everyone made a lot of great food.

Also, Ann Adkins was giving Paula Deen some strong competition in the cooking dept. with her grill and a stick of butter and some left over ham & cheese sandwiches.
I think I tried some of everything and am now on a diet!!

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Along with everything else, those sauteed shrimp that Bob made where wonderful. We had such a great time and our first rally. We have been bite buy the rally bug and will be adding as many as we can to our list. Thanks Donna and Hogan for all that you do, I know that it is really exhausting doing one.