What a MESS!! (spilled liquid detergent)

gjackson

I bought liquid laundry detergent today. I keep it on top of the washer along with the softner and a clothes basket. Ipushed the basket to hard and you guess it . . . the detergent went over the back side, breaking the top and spilling all over the closets. I wiped up as much as I could and am letting it dry. There isn't enough space to get a steam cleaner in there and I'm not sure I want to add water to that much soap. I'm wondering if it seeped through the carpet and if it will damage anything in the basement? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Any input is appreciated.

Sue

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Re: What a MESS!!!

Sue... If it is too difficult to extract, I would put a fan in there and try to dry / evaporate it out. I would run the fan for several days as the liquid likely soaked through the carpet into the flooring (plywood?). The only plus is that it will make things smell good!

gjackson

Sue... If it is too difficult to extract, I would put a fan in there and try to dry / evaporate it out. I would run the fan for several days as the liquid likely soaked through the carpet into the flooring (plywood?). The only plus is that it will make things smell good!

True - it smells like I have a clean house; however, the floors are dirty from dried mud and dust is always an issue!!! I will take your advice about keeping the fan in there a couple of days. Thanks!!!

Jimmy

Can you get the wand of a Shop Vac to it, it should suck up the liquid...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Switch to a powder detergent. It's what is recommended for our Splendide combo. We keep ours in a large plastic container with a screw cap.

gjackson

Switch to a powder detergent. It's what is recommended for our Splendide combo. We keep ours in a large plastic container with a screw cap.

I don't have a shop vac any longer (sold in the estate sell out) but it looks like a small one might come in handy. As for the powder detergent, I think that's a splendid idea!!! Thanks ya'll.

caissiel

rent a carpet cleaner and wash it realy good. I suppose that the washing machine has been pulled out to let the area dry.

danemayer

We use Purex Sheets that contain detergent and fabric softener. After washing, they go into the dryer along with the laundry. Because the loads are smaller than regular washing machines, we cut the strips in half which works fine.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty

I use the soap "pillows" that are coming into the market now. First, Camping World had them at a steep price. I found the ones I use at Target. Can't remember the brand name, but all of the companies are coming out with them now. I bought some for our blind friend. She was so excited. Now she can just throw it in and not worry about measuring all of the time at the campground laundromats.

gjackson

I haven't seen or heard of the soap sheet or the soap pillows, however I'll be sure to watch for them. Sounds like a much safer option for a klutz like me :rolleyes:.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

We use the soap sheets at home. They work great and are readily available at any grocery store, Wal-mart, Target etc. We cut them in 1/2 for small loads.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Soap sheets are the way to go. Purex makes the ones I use. Soap, fabric softener and static control in one. I actually used them when doing long term TDY instead of lugging heavy bottles or boxes around.

porthole

Retired
Get a small shop vac and start vacuuming it up. You can use a bottle of water too. Pour/vac - pour/vac etc

Wharton

I didn't realize soap sheets were back. I used them years ago and then they disappeared from the market(I believe anything I really like goes off the market). I'll need to look for them.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I was at our PX today and noticed a new brand of soap sheets there, so I do believe they are back and hopefully to stay.