FYI--If you have an Icemaker

Word of caution if you have an icemaker.
Seems the water line to the icemaker wasn't wire-tied
and bounced up against heater element. I didn't notice until we turned the
pump on and it kept running. Nice mess under the fridge.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Word of caution if you have an icemaker.
Seems the water line to the icemaker wasn't wire-tied
and bounced up against heater element. I didn't notice until we turned the
pump on and it kept running. Nice mess under the fridge.

Thanks for the info. Regarding the water line you are referring to, can you see it by removing the outside back panel of the refer? Thank, Trace

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
This happened to us twice. The repair guy thought he had moved it out of the way the first time. It ruined the vented cover under our refrigerator, so Heartland sent us a new vent cover and paid for the repair. The water went into my carpet and under the dinette table. It was indeed a big mess. They did this because Heartland installs the icemaker. He also performed the "fix" by installing the shroud that was recommended by HL to help with fires. When it jiggled itself close to the heater element the second time, we just had the service guy cut the line and make it shorter. I feel your pain. I think we are good to go now.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thanks for that info too. You may also be aware of the possibility of the water line can and probably will get a pin hole in it as well. Mine did that and flooded my basement. Every thing I had there was in plastic containers and didn't ruin anything.. just a lot of water to vacuuum .
Larry and Donna Keever
and Buddy
Oklahoma City, Ok.
2010 Ford F-350 FX4 Lariet 6.4 Diesel Dually
2011 BigHorn 3585 RL

57chevyconvt

Just experienced the ice maker water line problem about 3 wks. ago. Pin holes in the polyethylene line. Tomorrow I am replacing the entire water line with an ice maker water line from Lowe's. The ice maker line is a reinforced line especially designed for water supply to an ice maker. If your refrig is located in a slide, I recommended the stainless steel braided reinforced version. I currently have the RM1350 IM removed for adding another cooling fan and to by pass the thermo switch to allow both Dometic supplied fans to run continouly when the refrig is in opertion, therefore now is the time to replace the water line. Hopefully no more flooded basements.

lwmcguir

Are the ice/water lines still just poly tubing instead of NSF tubing? If so HL needs to change that ASAP.

kkamshop

We also replaced ours with the SS braided type. We were lucky though, we had not had a leak - just nasty tasting ice.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thanks, SS upgrade sounds like a good off-season upgrade project (along with additional external cooling fan).

guyc66

Do the 1/4" fittings that come on the steel braided lines work with the fittings supplied by Heartland or did you have to install something else to make it work? (my supply line sprang a small leak the other day and I just turned off the valve located behind the UDC for now). I plan on repairing it soon and was curious how much of a project this is going to be. Also, I noticed on the Lowe's website that several people complained about nasty tasting ice after switching to the steel braided line. Did you have that issue? Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi guyc66,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I can't help you with the fittings size or issue, but have heard of some bad tasting water, thought mostly with the plastic line. But some of the others will jump in here and help out with an answer soon.

Meanwhile, enjoy the forum.

Jim M

kkamshop

HL fittings were compatible - I bought a union fitting and attached it to the old so I could pull it through. I did have to make the hole in the floor a little larger so it would pull easy.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
1. I don't think you can use the ss braided lines, they are normally for sinks, lavatories and commode hook ups. As to the water taste, those people had other problems as the ss lines are designed for drinking water on 2 of the items they fit. If you think you have a problem with the plastic line getting to hot, get a larger size of copper tube and run the plastic thru it.

wdk450

I bought a heftier 20 foot line through Amazon that is made for those commercial icemaker machines like you see in hotels. I haven't installed it yet because I will have to enlarge some pass-through holes along with other stuff as the line O.D. is about 1/2 inch. It has pre-installed fittengs on the ends, too.

talley

The refg/icemaker in my BH is located in a slide. The water supply line must be flexible. When the line first developed the pin hole leak, I replaced the line with the same type plastic line. The second time the line developed a leak, I replaced the line with the braided SS covered supply line made for ice-makers. The line connections were compatible with the water supply fittings, it stays flexible and is more durable than the poly line. And as a bonus... the section of line running under the slide (exposed to sunlight) does not develop algae.