Air Conditioner

Two Hands

Our recent camping trip was the first time we had a chance to use the air conditioner since we bought the new Big Horn. A large amount of air blew out immediately beneath the a/c, but very little came out of the ducts/vents in the rest of the trailer. During our walk through I seem to recall that something in the bottom of the a/c could be switched, slid or moved causing more air to be directed into the ducts. I looked, but could not figure out what this might have been. That's assuming I am remembering correctly. Can anyone help?

jpmorgan37

Two Hands,

You remember correctly. If you look at the grill on the AC, you should see a small projection on the air discharge side (mine is in the center of the grill discharge) that will operate the slide to close off the air dump. I find that I get the best overall cooling with it about 80% closed.

Hope this helps.

John

Two Hands

Thank you very much for the information. It will most certainly help. But why not close the slide completely?

Pulltab

You can close it all the way but he probably doesn't because he is using it as another vent but by closing it he is forcing air to all the other vents. :)

jwb187

The ducting for the ac is very poorly done, you will get good air flow if you have the main vent open, very little or none out of the registers. I just did a posting a couple of days ago on how I greatly improved my ac air flow at the vents.....do a search or go to bighorn appliances....timK posted a very good article on how to do a modification to improve air flow.

madigand

There was no problem with my ducting, just a sloppy foil tape job. Smoothed out foil tape blocking air flow and sealed up so no air flows between duct/air register and ceiling. There is a post by timk about a tent install in the duct at the ac. I now have plenty of air and have no need to do tent modification. Hope this helps