Bighorn Kitchen counter tops

wingfoot

I saw a post somewhere on our site as to the care and feeding of our solid counter tops..I done a search and can't seem to find it..Mine have got a little hazing in some spots and I'd like to see if I could polish them out...Since I know Heartland changes Vendors, mine is a 2008 BH..

Thanks,

Larry

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Stay away from the Scotch Brite pads. I had some serious scratching due to vandals using the counter to drag the TV over it, last winter. I used wet/dry sandpaper from 220 grit to 1000 grit, then an automotive polishing cream (NOT rubbing compound), then MacGuair's paste wax. Did a beautiful job. Initially, I tried the Scotch Brite and it was painfully obvious where I had worked. When using the sandpaper, put some water mixed with a few drops of liquid dish soap on the area and work it through the grits, removing and replenishing the water with each grit change.

Birchwood

Its a constant struggle to keep a shine on Hanex countertops so I think we are going with the dull Look.Shine only lasts
a couple months so whats the point in sanding with 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper.Hanex is a very poor product!
The Landmark is a good rig but the countertops are troublesome.

twohappycampers

Must admit, I too am very disappointed in the Hanex countertops. When we first bought our BC we thought we were getting Corian. I tried in vain for the first couple of weeks to keep them looking nice like they did before I actually started using them, but I've since given up. Life's too short! I just wash them down with water and dishsoap, dry them off, and that's it. As for sanding them, sometime I may try sanding them to a dull finish and be done with it. Then they will be uniformly dull :rolleyes: Has anyone done this?

Theresau

At the rally it was mentioned by the vendor that using Windex will cause this. I've quit using. I do have some scratches but no dull spots per se yet.

Crumgater

I agree with twohappycampers!

We go with the 'clean but dull' look - just a wipe down with a clean rag and dish soap for me. Maybe 409 for the tough spots (might have to rethink that if Windex is bad). If we ever think of selling it, I might polish them up. But for our use, the dull look is pretty enough. We cover up a lot of the counter with non-slip placemats and trivet pads, anyway. That keeps the scratch potential down (and allows us to leave more stuff on the counter when traveling).

-T

JohnDar

Other than minor scratches from normal use, our counters look pretty good. Can't say we fret over how shiny they may or may not be. We just wipe them with a wet dish cloth and dry with a towel. The polishing sequence I mentioned is to remove serious scratches, which we had. Waxing them can be hazardous if you have a cat that thinks any raised surface is his domain. Our big dummy jumped on it right after I finished working on it and slid off the other side.

twohappycampers

Other than minor scratches from normal use, our counters look pretty good. Can't say we fret over how shiny they may or may not be. We just wipe them with a wet dish cloth and dry with a towel. The polishing sequence I mentioned is to remove serious scratches, which we had. Waxing them can be hazardous if you have a cat that thinks any raised surface is his domain. Our big dummy jumped on it right after I finished working on it and slid off the other side.

WHAT A PICTURE!!! :D sorry kitty!!

JohnDar

Has anyone sanded their glossy Hanex down to a matte finish? And left it there? My guess would be that one would use a coarser type sandpaper for that kind of a finish.

When I was repairing mine, it seemed to have a whitish cast to it at the lower grits (up to 600 grit). After 1000 grit and the polishing cream, it matched the adjoining areas. If you're going to leave it matte, I'd recommend starting out with something like 800 or even 1000 grit or it may look like the US Figure Skating team was holding practice on it.

twohappycampers

When I was repairing mine, it seemed to have a whitish cast to it at the lower grits (up to 600 grit). After 1000 grit and the polishing cream, it matched the adjoining areas. If you're going to leave it matte, I'd recommend starting out with something like 800 or even 1000 grit or it may look like the US Figure Skating team was holding practice on it.

I love watching figure skating!! :D But not on my countertop. So something like 800 or even 1000 grit, but without polishing cream maybe? Leave a nice all-over matte finish?

Birchwood

I will use a green scotch pad followed by a brown one and then white.Should leave a nice
dull finish buy not to dull.

JohnDar

I love watching figure skating!! :D But not on my countertop. So something like 800 or even 1000 grit, but without polishing cream maybe? Leave a nice all-over matte finish?

I'd start with the 1000 grit on an area and see how it looks just knocking the gloss off. You can always drop down a notch in the grit to get it where you like. If you go to an auto parts store (Advance, AutoZone, etc.) they should have a large selection of wet/dry grits up to 4000 grit, I think.

Willym

I believe we use LG product now. It looks like quartz material to me.

Jim
I see that LG makes both acrylic (like Hanex) and quartz surfaces. If it's quartz, won't it be very heavy?

I'm with John regarding the surface. I'll just let mine develop it's own natural "patina".