First fulltime snowbirding experience, any advice?

SMDAT

We have been fulltiming since April and are heading into our first winter. We want to stay warm if possible. Current location: Eugene OR.

A little worried about finding a spot somewhere through the winter...

Any advice on campgrounds?

Does everything get reserved and fill up by now? (Arizona) If so when do people start to migrate for the winter.

A little nervous...don't want to get stuck in freezing temps and snow : )

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are at Blake Ranch RV Park outside of Kingman AZ. The park is full with 3 RV's down on the entrance boondocking. Almost all that I have talked to are going south for the winter. Many to AZ some to Texas.

It looks like you are getting a late start. You might find a place for a month at a time but who knows you might get lucky and find a place for 6 months.

Good Luck
BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
While we don't have a lot of experience in AZ, I can tell you the higher elevations will be colder. Stick to sea level and it will be comfy. Decide on an area and check out www.rvparkreviews.com for places to go. You can view older sat images and websites through them and make a list of parks to call for sites.
Enjoy your first winter.

DougAndJudy

We have been fulltiming since April and are heading into our first winter. We want to stay warm if possible. Current location: Eugene OR.

Does everything get reserved and fill up by now? (Arizona) If so when do people start to migrate for the winter.

We spent one winter in Mesa, AZ. We didn't get there until early Feb. Arizona has many areas that would be good to spend the winter. The most popular are Phoenix area, Tucson area and Yuma area. Lots of parks to choose from. Most of the snowbirds from the north head to warm climates in November and December - with most going in December, I think.

Gaffer

This is our first season also. We are not leaving till November 10th from Gresham. Have a reservation at the Elks Lodge in Santa Barbra for 5 nights over Thanksgiving and the month of December reserved at Lake Havasu. Have no firm plans after that except we want to be in San Antonio for St. Paddys Day and Fontana for the NASCAR race March 25th. We will be in the Yuma area for a while. I was on Craigs List yesterday and found a lot of places for rent in the foot hills area. These are privite lots with fences and 20' gates. Most are set up for 2 RVs. They run about $325 plus electricity. They would like you to rent for the season or at least a few months but I am told if you drive by and see a sign on one you can work somethling out by the week if they don't have any one coming in soon. The same is ture of some large RV parks. The lots are all private and mostly filled with Park Models. Some of the lots ars used for RVs by the owners and if the owner is not there or coming later these can be for rent also. Find a place for a week and run aroound and see what you can find if you want to stay longer. A lot of the Yuma parks are 55 plus and many don't allow dogs.

jimtoo

Ya'll just load up and come on down to San Antonio, South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley area. Over 500 parks and a lot less expensive from what I have been told than Fl or Az. Lots of good people,, Ya'll probably just want to stay all year long once your here. Texas does allow Northern folks, even Yankees, to live here and share our great state and meet good people. :)

Jim M

SMDAT

Hi Jim! We have talked about the San Antonio area. How is the area for safety? : ) Have heard some of the outlying areas can be iffy?

Thanks for the feedback!
Sean

Ray LeTourneau

Ya'll just load up and come on down to San Antonio, South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley area. Over 500 parks and a lot less expensive from what I have been told than Fl or Az. Lots of good people,, Ya'll probably just want to stay all year long once your here. Texas does allow Northern folks, even Yankees, to live here and share our great state and meet good people. :)

Jim M
Hey Jim, What's the difference? Yankees, Northern Folks, I thought we were all the same.:D

jimtoo

Hi Jim! We have talked about the San Antonio area. How is the area for safety? : ) Have heard some of the outlying areas can be iffy?

Thanks for the feedback!
Sean

I have not heard of any problems at all on the U.S. side involving RV'ers or snowbirds. I would not go across the border, all though a lot of folks do.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

I was on Craigs List yesterday and found a lot of places for rent in the foot hills area. These are privite lots with fences and 20' gates. Most are set up for 2 RVs. They run about $325 plus electricity. They would like you to rent for the season or at least a few months but I am told if you drive by and see a sign on one you can work somethling out by the week if they don't have any one coming in soon. The same is ture of some large RV parks. The lots are all private and mostly filled with Park Models. Some of the lots ars used for RVs by the owners and if the owner is not there or coming later these can be for rent also. Find a place for a week and run aroound and see what you can find if you want to stay longer. A lot of the Yuma parks are 55 plus and many don't allow dogs.
Gaffer, what a great idea. After reading your post, I went to craigslist. I can't believe all of the opprtunities out there. I wish I had thought of this months ago. I was just checking the FL areas. I may use craigslist to find a park for March.

SMDAT

Awesome! Have you stayed at or recommend any specific parks in the San Antonio area?

Appreciate your help!

Sean

Ray LeTourneau

Sean, The only park we've been to in San Antonio was the KOA. Decent park but the surrounding area was a bit low income. BUT, bus service to downtown was across the street from the gate. I would go to rvparkreviews and browse their listings for SA. Have Fun!

jimtoo

Sean, We have stayed at Alamo Fiesta RV in Boerne, TX., almost in San Ant., very nice, close to everything. Also Fredericksburg RV Park in Fredericksburg, TX is very nice, was just there for 5 nights. Middle of hill country, good German food and great shopping. Another really nice one is Buckhorn Lake RV Resort on IH 10 just outside of Kerrville, TX. I have stayed at all of these parks and would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone.

There are also lots of parks around Rockport-Fulton area, Port Aransas, Aransas Pass area.

Jim M

robnmo

This is our 1st snowbird year as well, we've been home 4 days since July 2nd, work in the Houston area brought us to Manvel until early next month, but guess we better start looking for someplace a little farther south for after the holidays and see about locking something in, hope we're not too late.

noobee

Hi have fun...............try Desert Gardens Florence Az. we like it an there are 4 from the Chapter this year see you in Dec. 1

This is a beautiful park especially if you like desert landscape... we've stayed there 4 times, on short term basis. We found that the only downsides were the smallish club house which reduced the variety of activities... additionally it is somewhat remote for grocery shopping, etc.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Not to be a smart alec, but in a nutshell, head south! Soon.
I think the manager said she is booked for most of the winter at our park. We keep our winter spot year round, even though we are only here about 6 months out of the year. We get a much better rate and get to keep the same spot.
The more southerly the latitude, the warmer you are going to be. Also even in the southerly latitudes, I would stay below about 1500'.
In the middle of winter, it can snow down to about 1500-2000' in Southern California and Arizona.
I hate having to winterize. Good luck, Trace

Last edited:

Birchwood

We have been fulltiming in the south for a couple years.The good lots were booked last winter at
a good price but there will still be lots available but at a higher cost and perhaps the lot may not
be at a good location.You will find a lot and you may get lucky and for sure it will be better
than a winter in OR.If its your first year you will enjoy being anywhere in the SUN.

Delaine and Lindy

We have wintered in San Antonio at Fort Sam Houston (Family Camp Grounds), Mission Tex (Bentzen Palm Grove), Casa Grande Arizona (Festa Grande), Fort Huachuca Arizona (Family Camp Grounds , Gulf Shores Ala. (Anchors Aweigh, Island Retreat), Tampa Florida, Sebring Florida, (Highland Wheel Estates RV park). We have found Sebring, Fla to be the warmest and the price is much cheaper than be on the water on either the Gulf Coast or the Pacific Coast. South Texas (RGV) was great it would be our second choice, but its about twice as far from home base in Tennessee. In the RGV you shouldn't have a issue with finding a place there are 500 or so RV parks. But we very seldom travel without reservations. The biggest issue is don't go back home to early. We are a 187 miles from our winter site in Sebring, Fla. Good Luck with your choice. Happy Trails....