seal cleaning tool for toilet?

twohappycampers

Just found the manual for the toilet. It says to clean the seal periodically with the seal cleaning tool that came with the toilet, and of course we don't have it, and the picture doesn't show what it looks like. Does anyone? Do you clean the seal "periodically" with a different "tool"? How about the cleaner they say to use for the seal? Don't have that either. What special cleaner, if any, do you use for the toilet and this "seal?"

I've just been using a regular household cleanser to clean the bowl, spray it on, wait, swish it around with a toilet brush, and shove the brush down the hole a little ways and scrub around. Does it need anything more than that?

Thanks for your help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It may sound disgusting but after trying the bowl brush, I use the tip of my finger to feel around the seal both top & bottom. I think the tiniest bit of toilet paper stuck on or under the seal will allow the water to drain out. Afterwards, a good cleansing with hand sanitizer.
I recently replaced our seals and used plumbers lube on the seal. I may have to take the bowl off and clean and reapply the lube. Really helps the seal.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
The "special tool" is nothing more than a flat plastic stick with some very,very fine abrasive on one end. The only situation I can think of where an old toothbrush does not work just as well, would be in a case of very hard water / calcium build up on the seal and ball. The tools should be available at any authorized Dometic / Sealand dealer. They cost a few $.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It may sound disgusting but after trying the bowl brush, I use the tip of my finger to feel around the seal both top & bottom. I think the tiniest bit of toilet paper stuck on or under the seal will allow the water to drain out. Afterwards, a good cleansing with hand sanitizer.
I recently replaced our seals and used plumbers lube on the seal. I may have to take the bowl off and clean and reapply the lube. Really helps the seal.

It doesn't get disgusting until you have to actually change the seals. Then you're kneeling down literally looking into the bowels of the beast and it's got gas.:eek: Not a time to get slippery fingers with a screwdriver.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Just use the DW'S toothbrush ,it works real well and you don't need to use toothpaste. One has to remember though ,don't kiss her after she brushes.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just use the DW'S toothbrush ,it works real well and you don't need to use toothpaste. One has to remember though ,don't kiss her after she brushes.

I do almost the same thing. I use an old toothbrush. Out of self preservation I know better than to use the DW's toothbrush. However it works quite well. Just try to get the back of the toothbrush between the two pieces of rubber (the part the ball slides into) and rub it around a lot.

Also if you read the manual it also says to release the ball lever with a quick release so it snaps back into position. This helps a lot but will wake up the DW, so be careful if you operate it at night.

BC

Ken;
Jackie cleaned ours with a toothbrush and some silicon lube.
(good girl) I checked my brush and it looked and smelled ok.:)

twohappycampers

I KNEW if I posted something about the potty, there would be lots of interest :D

All this talk about toothbrushes. I've used old toothbrushes for years to clean this and that. A little while back I had a brilliant idea! really!! :p Tried an old electric toothbrush for cleaning something or another, and haven't looked back!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I KNEW if I posted something about the potty, there would be lots of interest :D

All this talk about toothbrushes. I've used old toothbrushes for years to clean this and that. A little while back I had a brilliant idea! really!! :p Tried an old electric toothbrush for cleaning something or another, and haven't looked back!

OK, I'll bite. I've been using old toothbrushes for a long time to clean saw blades and router bits. Maybe I should commandeer our electric tooth brush, which has been sitting in the bathroom unused for a long time now. Seems we've gone back to the manual mode.

twohappycampers

OK, I'll bite. I've been using old toothbrushes for a long time to clean saw blades and router bits. Maybe I should commandeer our electric tooth brush, which has been sitting in the bathroom unused for a long time now. Seems we've gone back to the manual mode.

Try it, Mikey! You'll like it! :D Oh, by electric I mean battery operated, but you got that right? Otherwise you've got the recharger thingie hanging around.

I keep one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, and one in my cleaning kit. I use a different brand for cleaning than we use in our mouths, to save confusion :p

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I told Patty to only use the blue one after I cleaned the seal...but she used the red one. OMG...should I tell her???

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
J2, I did suggest that she gargle with paint thinner to get rid of the taste. It was not received well.....so I dropped the subject.

Birchwood

The cleaning tool looks like a wide popsicle stick with a strip of velcro (either side of velcro would work) stuck on the end.
You need something thin to clean between the rubbers and around the ball.After two years the cleaner wouldn't do the job
and water could not be retained in the bowel.I removed the toilet to access the rubbers , ball and found lots of
calcium still between the rubbers and a buildup of crud on the ball.Cleaned everything ,reassembled and has worked
fine for months.It was not a big job.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The cleaning tool looks like a wide popsicle stick with a strip of velcro (either side of velcro would work) stuck on the end.
You need something thin to clean between the rubbers and around the ball.After two years the cleaner wouldn't do the job
and water could not be retained in the bowel.I removed the toilet to access the rubbers , ball and found lots of
calcium still between the rubbers and a buildup of crud on the ball.Cleaned everything ,reassembled and has worked
fine for months.It was not a big job.

Thanks for the tip. Ours is starting to act up and the toothbrush was tried but did not do the job. Guess disassembly is next.

hillsonwheels

Sure wish I hadn't even seen this thread! :( Read it one day and the "john" started losing water the next. :eek:

Had problems sometime back and was sent a new set of seals under warranty. They were the ones leaking this go round. After trying to clean them in place (no joy) removed them. Ended up using a product called Limeaway to break down the calcium crust buildup. Applied it sparingly and used a toothbrush on seals and ball. Hate it, but staring into the belly of the "beast" is the best way to make sure all is well.

Just hope it never "burps" while I'm staring! :eek::eek: That could ruin a feller's day!! :(:(

Dick