Pulley Lift for Fifth Wheel Hitch

Paul_W

I have an idea for a useful project to save my aching back. I would like to rig a pulley and sling system from my garage ceiling that would enable me to easily lift my fifth wheel hitch out of the bed of my truck. Once the hitch is raised off of the bed, I can pull forward and lower it onto a rolling dolly on the garage floor for storage. You would simply reverse the process to load the hitch back in. Has anyone ever done anything like this before and if so, are there pictures or plans? Thanks!

lwmcguir

We have a jib type crane with an electric lift. Makes it easy. However we use a double pully system to take off the Jeep hard top and store it in the rafters until cold weather returns. Works great. Should be an easy project for you to rig a hoist. You can purchase kits or the pulleys (block and tackle) at most any large hardware or farm store.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had an B&W Turnoverball with the Companion 5th wheel installed. I can pick mine up in two parts with no problem.

Still glad I have this one....

Grin..

BC

rebootsemi

I have an idea for a useful project to save my aching back. I would like to rig a pulley and sling system from my garage ceiling that would enable me to easily lift my fifth wheel hitch out of the bed of my truck. Once the hitch is raised off of the bed, I can pull forward and lower it onto a rolling dolly on the garage floor for storage. You would simply reverse the process to load the hitch back in. Has anyone ever done anything like this before and if so, are there pictures or plans? Thanks!

In my shop I have a 14" lam beam that I hook a rope block and tackle from and hoist the whole unit in and out of the truck, drop it on a dolly done. Got the block and tackle off the web if I remember was around $40. You would want to make sure your garage roof joists will hold up to the weight of the 5th wheel hitch.

TedS

I leave mine hanging on the trailer pin for the winter. Pull the pins from the rails, extend the landing legs to raise the trailer with the hitch attached, drive out, lower the trailer to level.

rick_debbie_gallant

Got a simple chain fall from Harbor freight. Also bought one of them square furniture mover dolly's that are flat and about 36" by 36" (give or take) Hitch fits on it great. I plan on taking the dolly with me to set the hitch on once we settle in for the winter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had an B&W Turnoverball with the Companion 5th wheel installed. I can pick mine up in two parts with no problem.

Still glad I have this one....

Grin..

BC

I remove and reinstall my 16K Reese hitch with nothing more than a pair of gloves. It breaks down into two parts simply by knocking the large pin out that holds the head to the base frame. Takes about 5 minutes to get it off the truck, carried and stored in the garage under a tarp for the winter. All of the pins get stored in a small plastic coffee can I set under it.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
We use a 2-ton chain hoist and then set the hitch on a dolly. Bought the 2 ton hoist onsale at Northern Tool on Black Friday for $30 and we made sure there's good bracing overhead. We use the "clean-bed" system so we don't need to bother with the rails.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Like a few others here I went with the $39 1 ton chain-fall from Harbor Freight.

Attachments

• chainfall.jpg
    chainfall.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 149

porthole

Retired
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-heavy?highlight=superglide+hitches+are+heavy

The new DRW doesn't fit in the garage, so now I go over to my Buddie's shop. Chain fall from an I beam and drop it on a dolly up on the loft

beardedone

Beardedone
I'm just leaving mine in the box this year for the first time. I have to drive 150 km each way every day for medical reasons for a couple of months so the extra weight in the box will be useful on icy roads.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just thought I would show my low cost, easy to operate, one man hitch installer/remover. This is just a temporary set up until I finish my garage. I bought a wheel barrow for $5.00 at a yard sale. Pull the hitch, lower into the wheel barrow and wheel into the shed. Lift out of the wheel barrow and install into the truck. The 2000lb. winch is from Harbor Freight, about $30. It is geared very low, so you can lower and raise very accurately. That is also a negative because it only moves a 1/4" per crank. It takes forever to move a great distance. My daughter cranked it down while I guided it into the bed rails. Worked perfectly.

Also worked great to lift the front of the riding mower up about 3' to clean the mower deck.

35l4tg4.jpg

2gxnqch.jpg

tanebl.jpg

2zi99xd.jpg

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Looks real good Jamie, simple and functional, I like that. I may need to up grade the method I use. I have a nice pair of work gloves that I put on and I just go pick the hitch up.

bill40

I used just a block and tackle in our garage for years with our pulrite 25. Drop it on the dolly and out of the way and out of the weather. No lifting putting it back in. Is called doing things on the cheap.

porthole

Retired
You harbor freight guys crack me up.
You know with their stuff you really have to heed the "don't stand under" warning.

Jamie - truss roofs are not designed to carry a load on the bottom web.
If you are going to keep it that way you should at least tie it to the top.