Needing to get a new Cell Phone...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Needing to get a new Cell Phone... Update Got iPhone 4

Well I guess I should get a new cell phone after today. We are in the Trailer Villiage RV Park in Grand Canyon. Will be here until Monday.

I pulled into our site which is not quite as good as I expected. It is shorter and really sloping side to side and they have a picnic table concreted to the ground. It is so close to the site that someone bent the bench way up under the table to get it out of the way. When I pulled into the site I stopped, got out to go back to see if the back of the trailer was sticking into the road. When I did the truck started to roll. I did not get it set properly into park. I turned around to stop the truck and fell. Without me knowing my cell phone slipped off my belt (I just bought a new holster too.). I stopped the truck and pulled it forward. Got out looked around and there on the ground was what looked like someone's cell phone. I reached for my phone and UH Ho... mine is gone. Picked it up and what a site. Squashed like a bug.

Now I have to get me a new phone. Daughter wants me to get an Iphone. I have had my Razer for a long time and can upgrade to anything I want. I think the Iphone 3 is free, but they are coming out with the new Iphone 4 8G for $99 4 16G $149 32G $199 and 4S (what is the S for?). The 4S Iphones will cost me $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. I don't think I will be doing a lot or any texting but if I get an Iphone it will cost me $15 more a month, $25 a month, or $45 a month. The $45 a month has something that will work with my computer.

I liked my RAZER... It was so old they can't get me a new battery (thought I needed one some time ago).

So what are you all using, do you like it, if not what different would you get or wish you had gotten.

If there is anyone from the 3GStore watching I would be intrested in your opinion also.. You know What's his name... :eek: ..

Thanks
BC

BTW.. If you call my phone you will get a message to call the DW until I get this worked out....

BTWWW... I am on AT&T

Update: Yesterday, Oct. 14 got new iPhone 4.... Now I need apps and how does it work...

Last edited:

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Jee-wiz Bob, first the blow out now this, What's next? We were at the Grand Canyon last week. Have fun and good luck with your phone.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yea, Cody... If it worn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all... LOL

I guess it is time that I move to the new technology of the Cell Phone world, but it is sure getting expensive..

BC

rustyshakelford

Don't get the 3G or 3GS iPhone. They are incredibly slow. I would spend the money on the 4 or 4S and enjoy it. I have had iPhones since they came out and it is amazing what they can do and how handy they are. Its been told to me that the phones haves the computer power of computers about a few years ago. To me, that's impressive what they have crammed into it. Also, I think the 4S has an 8 mp camera and the 4's camera is great also. Comes in very handy to have that kind of camera handy at all times!

Brett

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob there are a lot more phones out there. I have the iPhone 3GS and don't have any issues with it.

rick_debbie_gallant

Yea, Cody... If it worn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all... LOL

I guess it is time that I move to the new technology of the Cell Phone world, but it is sure getting expensive..

BC

Not sur I agree with ya Bob. I sounds like you had some pretty good luck. The truck ran over "JUST" the cell phone. You was able to stop the truck. :angel:

rick_debbie_gallant

Just ordered the iphone 4s the other day. plan to use it as a teather for the computer, amoung other things.Just hope it gets here before we leave for texas.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Love my old iphone 3g. I'm putting off the upgrade because I have an original unlimited plan @ $15 per month. Looking at my usage, and I do use it a lot, you'll probably be ok with one of the smaller data plans, especially at first.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just ordered the iphone 4s the other day. plan to use it as a teather for the computer, amoung other things.Just hope it gets here before we leave for texas.

Here in Arizona the 4S will be available in about 30 minutes. Iphone 4S It is available starting OCT 14th. Everyone east of me can now get one.

I have a router & 2 air cards so it looks like I don't need the 3S or 4S. 8gb must be the drive space for storage. The $15 charge is for 200mb service and $25 is for 2gb service.

How many of you excede the 200mb service and if so what are you doing to use that much data on your Iphone?

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Not sur I agree with ya Bob. I sounds like you had some pretty good luck. The truck ran over "JUST" the cell phone. You was able to stop the truck. :angel:

This is very true. I had this happen once before. When I go to put the gear shift into Park I didn't get it all the way in and I stepped out and then grabbed the door and stepped back in. This time I fell over a rock at the edge of the site. It could have been much worse. I think we all get in a hurry, but I am going to make a point from now on to leave the door shut and not get out until it is in park.

Lesson learned..

BC

mmomega

AnyTimer
Had a Palm Treo up until the iPhone came out then I went with that. Got the wife to switch over from her Treo to the iPhone 3G. We skipped the 3GS and both got the iPhone 4 last year and our 4S's should be delivered tomorrow morning. We love them almost everyone one of our friends have also converted to the iPhone and have loved it. Except for my sister-in-law which refuses to get one simple because everyone else has one.

We are still "grandfathered" in with our unlimited plans from years ago. I do use quite a bit of data I'm sure due to me sending lots and lots of photos through texts, tons of emails, uploading photos to facebook and when I'm out and about it is my tiny little personal computer until I get back to my desk where I can pick up right where I left off with my phone. Since a lot of my phone and computer apps sync with each other so my phone is constantly updating my computer with new info and vice versa. That and I do use Pandora a good bit since I can stream music from the phone through bluetooth to the Ford Sync stereo.

For me the upgraded camera at 8MP but with a new lens setup/filtering/aperture and that it can take full HD 1080p video was a big selling point since I do a lot of this and having that power in my phone instead of lugging around other equipment comes in handy. (The iPhone 4 is a 4MP and does 720p video and has a harder time with night photos)

Also, Siri, the built in voice assistant will make my life a little easier because it makes almost all aspects of the phone voice activated. Setting reminders, meetings, making calls, finding answers to pretty much any question you ask and the list goes on. This will make my work week a little less hectic.

3Gstore

If there is anyone from the 3GStore watching I would be intrested in your opinion also.. You know What's his name... :eek: ..

Thanks
BC

BTW.. If you call my phone you will get a message to call the DW until I get this worked out....

BTWWW... I am on AT&T

Hello :)

What carrier are you currently using? As most of the other members suggested I'd recommend going with either the iPhone 4 or consider the iPhone 4S if you like to have the latest and greatest. There are some really cool features on the new 4S like Siri, which does look amazing. You can checkout the feature here - iPhone 4S Siri Demonstration

I'd stay away from the 3GS since it will be bogged down by iOS5 & doesn't have the retina display. You'll be a lot happy spending a little bit extra on the 4 or 4S, and remember with cloud storage integrated into iOS5 the issue of GB's on the phone directly isn't as much an issue. I'd only get a larger model if you like to take a lot of pic's and record HD video. Ohh, that reminds me, the 4S also does 1080P too!

I personally use an iPhone 4 currently and will likely be upgrading to a iPhone 4S as soon as Apple starts selling the unlocked models. That's the nice thing with the Apple ecosystem, buy new model & sell old version for 80% value and repeat ;)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the good information. It looks like will be getting a iPhone 4.

Hi Matt.. My DW & I have AT&T. I have Sprint and Verizon air cards so I don't need to connect my computer to the phone. I have 2 air cards so I don't need to connect my computer to the phone. But then I it might be useful if I had AT&T also.

We have the family 700 minutes per month plan which runs me about $85 per month. The plans for internet access are $15, $25 & $45. I will be paying over $100 per month for my DW's old Razor and a iPhone 4 or 4S. How much do the rest of you pay for cell phone access and are you using an iPhone? I may need to go back to the land line and get a very long cord.... LOL

BC

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I am also on AT&T and have the Samsung Captivate 3G and love it. I have Data Pro 2GB and never go over the limit, and I SURF ALOT! Messaging unlimited with Mobile to any mobile calling. I find the Samsung very reliable and user friendly. Pick your poison. My daughter-in-law has the I-phone 4G, and is happy with it. Son has the Blackberry Torch. Hubby has a simple easy to use Samsung flip phone. He isn't into technology! :) Good luck with our decision.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
BC,

We love our iphones... will probably upgrade to 4S at Christmas. Just checked my AT&T iphone 3GS data usage, since you asked. We live near Dallas, so we have excellent coverage, so it's easy to use, all the time. It happens to be Day 30 of a 30-day billing cycle, and I used 701.46 MB. DH used 491.11 MB. Each phone has its own data plan, and we happen to be grandfathered in on the Unlimited Plan.... But looks like the 2 GB plan would be what would serve us best, if we have to switch at some point (to add tethering, I think they make you pick a limited plan). We use ours all the time to check Facebook, email, text, take and send photos, check this forum, weather, banking, search for info, etc.

I think you will like any smartphone, but my PC diehard IT guy at work said, "DO NOT GET A WINDOWS PHONE" and that says a lot to me!

E

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the reply Betty. You brought up another thought is the iPhone 4 or 4S on 4G system or still using the 3G. Will the iPhone use both 3G & 4G system.

Also how do you carry your iPhone. I have a holster that clips on my belt for my Razor but the iPhone is so much larger. It looks like it would be a pain to carry on my belt like I did with my Razor.

Is it hard to read the info on the iPhone. The screen is so small. With my big fingers I have trouble using the touch screen on my ASUS Slate.

Thanks to eveyone and please keep coming with the info.

BC

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
All Iphones are still 3G. The new 4S remains at 3G. My wife an I are both ready to upgrade and considering the Motorola Bionic.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yeah, my LG5200 is getting long in the tooth and batteries are hard to come by, even on E-bay. But it still does what it's supposed to...make phone calls. I really don't want a toy to watch movies on or get a bunch of "apps." Don't need no texting, either.

jbeletti

Bob,

I use an iPhone and Nancy "used" a Blackberry with the keyboard below the screen. She feels her fingers are not very compatible with touch screens. As such, a few months back, she got the Droid 2 Global. It has a slide out keyboard. For the most part, she likes it.

I just ordered the iPhone 4S today and will pick it up in Crossville next week. Once you go iPhone, it's hard going to anything else. They just work!

That said, it's not a flip and it's totally touch driven. So it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Jim

Last edited: