New Rear Windows

doc

We just picked up our new 2012 Bighorn 3670 rl today. We special ordered it so as to get it just the way we wanted it. Well surprise, surprise. They have made some changes which had I known about before hand, I would not have bought this trailer. The rear side windows are now smaller so when a person sits in the recliners they can only see the sky and not anything below it. Why even have these windows unless one is watching airplanes going by.

Another thing that has been changed is now there are only 2 lights above the sinks compared to 3 lights which have been on previous models.

And lastly, the fantastic fan/vent fan speed can only be controlled by standing on a stool and manually adjusting the speed. It has a thermostat which only opens and closes the vent and does not change the fan speed. Our 2006 Montana, which we traded in on this Bighorn, had a reostat that controlled the speed of the fan according to the ambient temperature. This was much more effective in moving the air quietly.

We thought we were making a move up the ladder when we bought our Bighorn but now I am having my doubts.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
doc,Welcome to the forum.
Sorry about the windows and the lights. I believe the Landmark I looked at a while back had the two light setup in the kitchen. Rolling line changes are common in the RV industry. Normally they are done to improve the product, or design in some way. JMHO.
Regarding the thermostat for the fantastic fan. My 2011 has the same t-stat, so know they have existed for a while. We have been fulltiming for almost a year and I have never changed the speed of my kitchen fan. Always leave it on low. Clears the rig in minutes. As far as, on and off, I keep a walking stick in the coat closet and I simply flip the switch. I never climb up there. Also have another Fantastic in the bath. Rarely change speeds.
I time, I'll bet you will forget about the couple of minor changes and grow to love your rig as much as most people here do. Enjoy it. Trace

By the way, we are SHOPPERS. We were looking to buy a M*ntana. Along the way we found HL and Bighorn. I'm glad we did. They build a better product and their customer service is second to none

Last edited:

doc

Guess I was just tired and grouchy after loading our new Bighorn yesterday. This morning I looked at things in a different light. While the rear side windows are not as low as I would have liked, they are adequate for seeing out. Just wished they would have left the originals.

You are right Trace, the fantastic fan can be shut off by flipping the switch with a long object,such as a walking stick. I tried it this morning and it worked fine.

I guess to sum things up, sometimes change is hard to make. We liked our Montana real well and probably would have bought another had they not changed the front clothes closet by making it smaller. We will get used to our new Bighorn and hopefully grow to like it as much as our previous Montana.

twohappycampers

Hi Doc! I'll just say I know something of what you're feeling right now. We bought our Big Country new in June of this year. We bought right off the lot, though, so knew exactly what we were getting and not getting, in the way of design anyway. We've had a few surprises so far that haven't thrilled us, but the support from the people on this forum has been the best!

I know it can be very disappointing to have ordered something specially and then not get what you thought you would, especially when it's something that can't be changed. That would make me angry too! But just hang in there, okay? Just try to deal with things as they come up, and they will :(. And try to keep in mind all the things you DO like about your Bighorn. And lean on the people here, they've mostly been where you are, are very understanding and knowledgeable and there's always help with any problem.

Okeydokey, am I starting to sound too much like Dr. Phil?? Anyway, take good care! Lorna

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have the Fantastic Fan with the analog thermostat on the wall, just slide the lever full left and it turns it off. In three summers of use, I've never changed the fan speed from #2. I did put a cover over it to defeat the rain sensor and allow it to run during rain.

You say they've made the rear windows smaller? Do they look like the ones in my photo? If yes, they've been standard for a while.

Having crawled through enough Montana's at RV shows, looking behind the glitze, I'm happy we got a Bighorn.

View attachment 16336

doc

Thank you Lorna. I appreciate your positive comments. You are right, dwell on the things we like. I have been reading this forum for quite awhile after we decided on the Bighorn and will continue to do so and probably ask other questions about our Bighorn.

doc

They have shortened them up in length maybe a foot. From looking at other pictures of Bighorns on the internet, I would say this was just done sometime late summer or early fall.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Congratulations on you new 3670. We fell in love with the floor plan and still haven't seen another one we like better. As far as customer support Heartland is the best. If you ever need any help you can't get here on the forum have your vin ready and give Heartland customer service a call they are fantastic. Also, consider joining the owners club and attending a few rallies, your "doubts" will fall away.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
They have shortened them up in length maybe a foot. From looking at other pictures of Bighorns on the internet, I would say this was just done sometime late summer or early fall.

Ouch! I would not call that a "better idea." It's dark enough in there, as it is. Even with the longer windows, you can't see the ground unless you're standing up. Peeping Tom's need a substantial ladder to see in.

porthole

Retired
No one likes an additional expense - but if the fan is an issue, you can buy an upgraded circuit board and motor and get a wireless remote from Fantastic Fan