Edge versus Wilderness

I was interested in an Edge M22 before they stopped making them since they were bought by Thor. It appears from browsing the Heartland website that the new Wilderness floor plans are pretty much identical to the Edge ones (the Wilderness WD2250BH being the replacement for the M22). I guess I have two questions.

First, how do you think the quality of the Wilderness will (or does if there are any out there yet) compare to the Edge line. From my cursory review, there seems to be some concern about what was generally perceived as good quality from Heartland being compromised as they get "assimilated".

Second, I have looked at Keystone Bullets, which appear to be pretty good quality and notice that they are also owned by Thor, so how do you think the quality/features compare between a Bullet 230RBH, the Edge M22 and the new Wilderness WD2250BH? I can find what few Edges are left and the new Wilderness models for 20-25% less than a comparable Bullet.

Thanks very much in advance for any comments.
John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, I know little about the Edge or Wilderness. I can tell you though, Heartland service has been very very good.
Consider this. Where else can you find a manufacturer that monitors it's Owner's Club forum. Responds directly to owners concerns through the forum and considers the forums feedback to make changes to their product line as suggested by product owners.
Heartland has grown over the last 6 years for some reason. I believe they build as good a trailer as any and the Customer service is as good as it gets.
Another opinion. Thor would have had nothing to do with Heartland if it were not a good investment.

Yellowreef

In my opinion the Wilderness is basically a North Trail with a different name. There really is no substitute once they discontinued the Edge.

pegmikef

I had an Edge M21 for almost a year (and about 7000 miles) and upgraded to a North Trail 26 LRSS because we just needed more room. I would say the quality is actually better in the North Trail primarily because a lot of the weight saving items weren't to my liking. For example the drawers in the Edge were simply plastic trays while the drawers in the North Trail are wood with residential style glides. I completely understand the reasoning for reducing the weight and I loved towing the Edge with my 4.6 L F150. Part of the price I paid for the bigger North Trail was 4000 plus pounds more weight. Anyway I really liked both of them and would recommend either one. I have had no issues with either one (8000 miles plus on the North Trail) so I can't really attest to dealer service. Good luck in your search.

Trailer_Joe

Interesting, the Wilderness models are WAY heavier than the Edge models. I wonder if it was simply to costly to make the Edge line?

Gracie4Camping

We own the Wilderness 27RL TT and feel that it is a well built unit. We bought the Widerness this past June and have been out three seperate weekends since we purchased. The only issue we've had is the factory mislabled the black and grey tank as they were switched. I do most of the driving and it towes easy. It is lightweight and weighs 5500 lbs.