Winterize ICE make on 2011 Grand Canyon

Sailor

Can you use a compressor to blow the water out of the ice maker while turning the motor gear? If I blow out the rest of the plumming also do I still need to use the pink stuff other then for the drains?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I see no reason why you could not use air to blow out the ice maker as long as you regulate the pressure to about about 15 psi.
As far as using the pink stuff after blowing out the system there are differing opinions on that. I prefer to use the anti-freeze.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

Do not exceed what you consider safe for water pressure in your system. I use the anti freeze to push out the water.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info! Is 15PSI the max I should use for the hole system?
I just threw that out as a suggested safe number from me. Your water system is rated by Heartland at aound, I think, 50psi. I do not know the exact number.
As Hoefler said, "Do not exceed what you consider safe for water pressure in your system".

Peace
Dave

Sailor

I do have water in the door, but have no idea of where the water chiller is located? Any one know if there is a water shut off to the refridgeator on the 2011 GC and where it is located?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The shut off should be located behind the wall in the basement on the off door side. There will be a couple of white screws in the UDC that hold one end of that panel in place. There will be a couple of black screws that hold it to the other panel.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

On the Rushmore, the refrigerator water cutoff is very close to the backside of the Universal Docking Center (UDC). If you take down the basement wall near the UDC and look at the water connections, you'll find your cutoff pretty quickly.

hriker

Just behind the removable panel in the basement. On my 2011 Rushmore there is a shutoff valve near the back of the docking center. I assume the Grand Canyon will be in about the same location. I blew out all my line and ice maker. Will shutoff the frig line and use anti-freeze to be sure. Cost of about $30. Cheap to make sure I don't freeze up in upstate NY.

Maverick

After I turned off the water supply to the icemaker, blew water out of the supply tube and blew water out of the solenoid valve, there was still water in the icemaker tray itself which would freeze. So I had to unscrew the icemaker from the backwall, remove it and empty the water. Blowing air into the line will not get rid of this water. A logical step to easily miss. Also I wouldnt blow the pink stuff into the icemaker. Might not get the taste out next time it is used.

Willym

After I turned off the water supply to the icemaker, blew water out of the supply tube and blew water out of the solenoid valve, there was still water in the icemaker tray itself which would freeze. So I had to unscrew the icemaker from the backwall, remove it and empty the water. Blowing air into the line will not get rid of this water. A logical step to easily miss. Also I wouldnt blow the pink stuff into the icemaker. Might not get the taste out next time it is used.
I don't think that water in the icemaker tray will hurt. It freezes when you make ice all the time. The solenoid valve and the supply line to the icemaker is what needs to be clear. I've just followed Dometic's instructions and have had no problems. Definitely don't anti-freeze in there, you'd need a lot of rum in the drinks to compensate for the bad tasting cubes!

jimtoo

Hi Geno-Kitty,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure one of our other members will jump in soon with some help.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Geno, I also have a KL. However since i'm fulltiming in AL, I don't need to winterize much. But the info I read on this thread should lead you in the right directtion. We just don't have the water chiller.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Just behind the removable panel in the basement. On my 2011 Rushmore there is a shutoff valve near the back of the docking center. I assume the Grand Canyon will be in about the same location. I blew out all my line and ice maker. Will shutoff the frig line and use anti-freeze to be sure. Cost of about $30. Cheap to make sure I don't freeze up in upstate NY.

What's the $30 for?

hriker

For 6 gallons of RV anti freeze. I believe I used 2 gallons for the water lines, 1 gallon in the fresh water tank, 1 gallon for toilet/black tank, 1 gallon for kitchen/grey tank #1 and 1 gallon for bath sink/shower/washer drain/grey tank #2. Basically 2 gallons for water lines and 1 for each holding tank. About $5 per gallon in upstate NY. I'd rather be safe then sorry later.

Several have said the cut off is behind the UDC. It changes all the time. 2013 Grand Canyon is under the sink or at least mine is..
This is what i did, I cut it off under the sink, took the hose lose there and at the solenoid behind the frig. Blew it out with air. The line going to the solenoid is exposed under the slide out. Took the other hose loose at the soleniod and where it goes into the top of the frig and let it drain empty. Took the solenoid off and put it inside the house. Nothing to freeze now. So we are not going to have a ice maker during the winter but all the other lines are still usable as we do camp in the winter. The heat inside will keep them in good condition.. Many ways to do this so you have to chose which is easiest for you and your specifice camper.