carbon monoxide detector

twohappycampers

I thought the alarm in the bedroom was a smoke detector. Just looked closer, and it's a carbon monoxide detector. Is this right?!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Not sure if it is right or not, but generally speaking.... carbon monoxide alarms are mounted closer to the floor and smoke alarms are mounted on the ceilings.
Our northtrail trailer has the carbon monoxide detector mounted about 2 feet from the furnace about 7 inches off the floor. If memory serves me right carbon monoxide gas is fairly heavy and is more concentrated near the floor (earlier detection when unit is placed near the source) and as we all know smoke rises hence ceiling mounting for them. I'm not sure there are any standards for where they are placed as our home has the carbon monoxide detector ceiling mounted (close to furnace and garage). I am guessing they may mount them in bedrooms because of the risk of death while sleeping. Good question though, I will be interested in what others have to say.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Ours has and LP detector near the floor aft, a smoke detector on the ceiling above the stairs and a carbon monoxide detector on the ceiling in front of the bedroom closet. Please visit this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/27249-Smoke-detector-warning!! and check you battery powered detectors.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Cody... You are right, I just ran outside and checked mine and it is exactly as you say. I thought the LP detector was the carbon monoxide detector.
Good to know, thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Air has a density of 1.0, by convention. Carbon monoxide has a density of 0.97, making it slightly LIGHTER than air. If it's being generated by faulty heating system, it's going to be mixed into all levels of the space, so having it on the ceiling of the relatively small RV bedroom is probably as good as it gets.

The only way to test a CO detector (besides the battery test) is with CO. Blowing on it loads it with CO2, which is not good for the sensor. Neither is using aerosols like hair spray, air freshener, or cleaners near it.