New Owner

Greetings, I am new to Heartland, this forum and RVing in general, although I have spent a lot of time with friends and family in their rigs. I just bought a 2009 Sundance 3300SK that has been basically sitting around since it was new in the Houston area. I do love the trailer and have taken it out several times since I got it about a month and a half ago. I do have a couple of questions/issues that hopefully someone can help me out with.

The major problem I have is that it looks like the skylight over the shower is leaking. Had the trailer out at the hunting camp 2 weeks ago and it rained for the first time in who knows how long for an entire night. When I got up in the morning there was water dripping all the way around the skylight so I have taken off the inside portion. It looks like there has been some water inside there but I can't figure out where it's coming from. There is some type of tape all the way around on the outside of the skylight on the roof and the seal looks good on that. Is that tape something from the factory or did the previous owner do that? I am going to check all the rubber on the roof today and hopefully I can spot something.

I also had a leak on the kitchen slide near the back. It looks like the rubber on the side is too loose against the slide to make a good seal. Is the slide rubber something I should get from Heartland or would a regular RV dealer sell it?

Finally, why is there no cut off switch for the radio? If I leave it unplugged I have to disconnect the battery to keep the radio from draining the battery. I will probably just put in a battery cut-off switch. The battery isn't the original one and I guess the power converter went out at some point and was replaced so there was probably some modification done with that. Just a weird thing that I would think they would put in when it was new.

Anyway, that's it for now. I have already found some good info on here and look forward to being a Heartland owner for many years. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Charles Wheeler

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Charles, welcome to the forum. As you have already noticed, there is a lot of good information to be found here.
The tape that you have found on the skylight is not OEM. It sounds like the previous owner may have had a leak and use perhaps a product such as Eternabond. Look for any cracks in the skylight or any other place that water may enter the coach. Maybe a vent in the same general area. Water leaks can be difficult to track down.
Where exactly is the leak in your kitchen slide? Are you finding water on the floor of the slide or the floor of the coach itself. If it is on the floor of the slide you may have a window that needs to be re-caulked. I would remove the old caulk as best as you can and do the top and sides of the window. Caulking is one thing that needs constant attention on campers.
I have read here on the forum that a few members have done exactly what you have mentioned. Install a cut off switch for the radio.
The rubber wipe on the side of the slide may be just a matter of a slide adjustment, not replacement. If you feel that it does need replacement, first check with your dealer and if they cant help, contact Heartland Parts.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The major problem I have is that it looks like the skylight over the shower is leaking. Had the trailer out at the hunting camp 2 weeks ago and it rained for the first time in who knows how long for an entire night. When I got up in the morning there was water dripping all the way around the skylight so I have taken off the inside portion. It looks like there has been some water inside there but I can't figure out where it's coming from. There is some type of tape all the way around on the outside of the skylight on the roof and the seal looks good on that. Is that tape something from the factory or did the previous owner do that? I am going to check all the rubber on the roof today and hopefully I can spot something.

If the tape is under the lip of the skylight, it is probably factory installed. If it is on the outside it was probably added. The skylight could have a hairline crack in it from sitting out in the sun unprotected for 2+ years also. You can get a replacement skylight from Heartland. Others have replaced theres. Not extremely difficult.

I also had a leak on the kitchen slide near the back. It looks like the rubber on the side is too loose against the slide to make a good seal. Is the slide rubber something I should get from Heartland or would a regular RV dealer sell it?

I've seen this material at soon larger dealers, but if you call Heartland Custome Service they can probably get you the exact piece you need. Again, if the slides aren't operated regularly I can see the seals getting stiff. Have your VIN number handy if you call Heartland for the part.

Finally, why is there no cut off switch for the radio? If I leave it unplugged I have to disconnect the battery to keep the radio from draining the battery. I will probably just put in a battery cut-off switch. The battery isn't the original one and I guess the power converter went out at some point and was replaced so there was probably some modification done with that. Just a weird thing that I would think they would put in when it was new.

I suspect you have a radio with the alarm feature in it. The alrm time is reached and it turns the radio on. This has happened to many folks on the forum and that was the cause. Check the rafio for the alarm.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Charles... Welcome to the forum, "another Texan!"
Lots of people have installed battery disconnect switches or leave them plugged into shore power if available. You can get them at West Marine or Bass pro, etc. etc. I am sure someone will chime in about the skylight leaking and it's usually a fairly easy fix (but important to address so you don't have interior water damage). As to the slide rubber... I too have had one come loose, but I just reglued it (gorilla glue used very sparingly). You can always use the advanced search box in the upper right hand corner, just type in a couple of key words and it will take you to similar post and their replies. Good luck with your new trailer, (Heartland makes a great trailer) and keep us posted on your progress.

I appreciate all the help. I think I have at least the skylight figured out. It's tough to find some of the needed parts and supplies when you don't have an RV dealer near you. I have to drive about 30 miles just for a so-so RV store. Hopefully I will get the skylight fixed today and then on to the slide seal. I will definitely call Heartland for the slide seals. Thanks again.

I ended up taking out the inside part of the skylight so I could inspect everything for cracks. I didn't find any so I went up on the roof with a water hose and poured water on it until it started leaking. Once I saw where it was coming in, I got some Dicor lap sealant and put a bead all the way around the seams. I put extra in the areas where it seemed like the water was coming in. I rechecked it a couple days later and haven't had any problems so far. Just waiting for a good rainfall just to make sure. Hopefully I was able to get it. I think I am going to get some type of cover for the trailer just to prevent issues when I am not using the trailer.