Retaining strip at bottom of doors

mhedlund

Mike & Mary
Last week, while in Fredericksburg, the PLASTIC retaining strip at the bottom of our Dometic refrigerator door broke and the door panel insert fell straight down to the floor. The plastic may have been weaken from the extreme heat we had in north Texas this summer. I was able to do a "band-aid" repair at the RV park. After getting home, I went to Lowes and bought a piece of aluminum angle (the same thickness and size) of the plastic strip. After making some cuts, drilling some holes and putting on little paint, I have now replaced both plastic retaining strips with aluminum retaining strips. Has anyone else had this problem? The refrigerator was a new one being replaced in the last year.

jimtoo

Hi Mike and Mary,

Was nice to meet you guys in Fredericksburg, sorry we did not get up early enough to say goodbye.

Thanks for posting your problem and what you did to repair it. Sounds like you made it a lot better. I checked ours and it looks OK.. but now that I said that,,,well maybe I just should go buy some angle and be ready.:)

See you down the road.

Jim and Bette

mhedlund

Mike & Mary
Jim, it only took me about 15 minutes to fabricate the new strip, not counting painting and dry time. Hope you don't have to use this fix, but if you do, it works great. Enjoyed meeting you and Bette as well. Maybe we'll meet up down the line.
Mike and Mary